Would like LTRIM & RTRIM added to Multi-File Renamer Dia

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DudeBoyz

Would like LTRIM & RTRIM added to Multi-File Renamer Dia

Post by *DudeBoyz »

I like the Multi-File Rename tool. It's got most of the key options available right there with the default buttons, and has the ability to do more if you explore the syntax of the codes you can use.

The quick access options are great, but I would like to see two more added for both File and Extension. LTRIM and RTRIM.

Keeping it just as simple as the rest, you could just add each function with a number box to the right of it. Like this:

LTRIM (num) RTRIM (num)

Where the user simply selects a number like 3, and it would remove the first 3 characters (ltrim) or the last 3 characters (rtrim) or both, from the file name. Same for the extension.

For instance, I have a bunch of files ripped from a CD-Audio disk with 99 tracks per cd. They are numbered like this:

001-Chapter 1
002-Chapter 2
003-Chapter 3
004-Chapter 4

all the way up to 999, for a 10 disk set. It would be very cool to simply be able to enter a 4 in the LTRIM field and get:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

I think it could be done using the code [N 4] type of deal, but for the n00b or less technically oriented user, I think having the option right there in the initial dialog would be nice.

If you used RTRIM, you might turn this:

For instance, I have a bunch of files ripped from a CD-Audio disk with 99 tracks per cd. They are numbered like this:

001-Chapter 1
002-Chapter 2
003-Chapter 3
004-Chapter 4

into this by setting an RTRIM of 5:

001-Chap
002-Chap
003-Chap
004-Chap

or into this by setting an RTRIM of 10 instead:

Just examples pulled off the top of my head. I know you could just replace the file name with a sequence of numbers to get the same 001, 002, 003, 004 list, but I was trying to illustrate the RTRIM idea.

Perhaps even add a "STARTING POSITION" option, so you could LTRIM or RTRIM with more flexibility. Like if you had this:

01-AAA-Chapter 1
01-BBB-Chapter 2
01-CCC-Chapter 3
02-ABB-Chapter 1
02-ACC-Chapter 2
02-ADD-Chapter 3

You could set a STARTING POSITION of 4 and LTRIM of 4 and get this:

01-Chapter 1
01-Chapter 2
01-Chapter 3
02-Chapter 1
02-Chapter 2
02-Chapter 3

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

DB
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

reject --
this is not neccessary - lamers should learn! next noob will ask to add some function like insert current time, or smth...

Use current tools, it's better to expand regExp library, than to add such functions
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

Sosna wrote:reject --
this is not neccessary - lamers should learn! next noob will ask to add some function like insert current time, or smth...

Use current tools, it's better to expand regExp library, than to add such functions
That's the same kind of attitude that has kept so many "lamers" from going with Linux instead of Windows.

Like it or not, making a product a little more user-friendly can have benefits.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2DudeBoyz
Well, I think the current solution is quite OK and not so hard to get:
[N5-] removes all characters left from the 5th char, and
[N1-5] removes all characters right from the 5th char

In addition, you can click on a filename in MRT and then push the [N#-#]-button to select a part from this filename. Press F1 in the MRT for more info :)
Last edited by StickyNomad on 2006-11-08, 14:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

Thanks, nomad. Was just thinking adding the elements in the interface might make the feature more accessible.

I appreciate the detailed reply on the coding. :)
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

2DudeBoyz
- I am sorry for my offensive speach, I didn't mean you. I just want to say that it's very easy now to use [N5-] etc. templates, so even noobies can use it.
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!