More Tree Behavior Requests

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

More Tree Behavior Requests

Post by *JohnFredC »

It seems obvious that TC folder trees were designed by-and-for keyboard-centrics, not mouse-centrics, and that many implementation choices were made to address how a keyboard-user keeps track of that elusive "focus" that mouse-users don't have to worry much about.

But I am trying hard to incorporate the new dual trees in my mouse-centric behavior because folder trees are so very useful, even as crippled as the TC ones are.

So, here are more requests from a mouse-centric user:

1. TC should detect that the mouse cursor is over the folder tree and scroll the tree when a user rolls the mouse wheel.

Currently the scroll wheel only works on the scroll bar itself.

2. TC should allow a user to "mouse" expand/contract folder tree nodes without shifting the folder focus. This means enabling the lines and +/- symbols for mouse navigation only, NOT select.

Currently, it appears to be impossible to expand a folder node with the mouse without changing the focus to another folder. This is really bad behavior for a folder tree and goes against years of accumulated folder tree culture: very very frustrating and inefficient for a mouse user.

Perhaps TC needs a Tree Behavior Option in the ini so that a user can select which mode of folder tree interaction works best for them.

However, I think that with a little more careful thought and input from mouse-centrics, it should be possible to support both the keyboard guys' needs and the mouse guys' needs simultaneously.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

TC should detect that the mouse cursor is over the folder tree and scroll the tree when a user rolls the mouse wheel.
Support+++
[OT]The same with the 2 panels would be nice.
TC for Linux please!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

TC should detect that the mouse cursor is over the folder tree and scroll the tree when a user rolls the mouse wheel.
AFAIK this is mouse-driver related. At least it doesn't work in any application on my system with my logitech-driver.

I use Katmouse for this.
Clo

Old is good !

Post by *Clo »

2StickyNomad

:) Hello !

• I kept an old Logitech mouse driver, and I can scroll an expanded sep. tree, the active window, the inactive window with the wheel, only hovering them… :P

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Clo
Interesting, can you please tell me what version you use? Perhaps I'd give it a try. Maybe I even have a suitable previous version myself on some old floppies :)
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

I think it's a per application issue. With my crappy A4-tech mouse and the default win driver it's working as described above in apps like Textpad or foobar2000
TC for Linux please!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

With my crappy A4-tech mouse and the default win driver it's working as described above in apps like Textpad or foobar2000
Here with my finest A4Tech mouse the scrolling works in the separate trees when just hovering as well.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Clo

On a CD

Post by *Clo »

2StickyNomad

:) It's a CD, but I can't find it at the moment.

- I found only the MouseWare 9.42.1 CD.
- The version I use in Windows is : 9.42.0.0

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately that's true - some drivers always scroll the currently active panel, while others scroll the panel under the mouse cursor...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: More Tree Behavior Requests

Post by *wanderer »

JohnFredC wrote:2. TC should allow a user to "mouse" expand/contract folder tree nodes without shifting the folder focus. This means enabling the lines and +/- symbols for mouse navigation only, NOT select.
Yes, that would be nice, although i fear it may be a little difficult since the tree panel seems to work as a list... I hope it can be done.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, it's a listbox - I'm not sure whether it's possible to click on an item without changing the focus location.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, it's a listbox - I'm not sure whether it's possible to click on an item without changing the focus location.
Listbox instead of a tree? Then there's no hope.

:(
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

There are good workarounds:
Katmouse
or this AutoHotkey script:

Code: Select all

CoordMode Mouse, Screen
WheelDown::
WheelUp::
   MouseGetPos m_x, m_y, WinID, Ctrl
   PostMessage 0x20A,((A_ThisHotKey="WheelUp")-.5)*A_EventInfo*(120<<17),(m_y<<16)|m_x,%Ctrl%,ahk_id %WinID%
Return
Found here: http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=55395&sid=4c00dfe3ce94226f6d9ac7d4d66f32d2#55395
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!