Suggestion - Annoying thing in File Search

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kataleen

Suggestion - Annoying thing in File Search

Post by *kataleen »

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but I might say that I am using WinC/TC since it's very first version. I think it's the best win shell on the market and I want to congratulate it's creator. GREAT JOB.
One of my suggestions:

When doing a file search (text-in-file search), there is often the possibility, that inside the folder I do the search, there is another folder containing thousands of files. Although I see it in the status bar that is being searched, I cannot do anything to skip that, even if I know that there is no chance that I can find there what I am looking for.

So I think it would be a good idea to put links on the path being searched in the status bar (if possible) and when a large folder is being searched, I have the possibility to click on it's name and skip it.

I will give an example: If I am looking for a *.log file that contains "bla" in my windows folder. Eventually the search will look also in system32 even if I know for sure that this log is not there. Since sys32 is a large folder, I just have to wait until the search finishes with it. It would be nice to see something like this in the status:

C:\windows\system32\dllcache\

If I click on system32, the search will skip this folder and go to the next one.

What do you think?

LATER EDIT: There is already a topic regarding this issue. Sorry!
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=9977
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Welcome!

Good idea, that would be nice to have.

Maybe you know it already, but currently, you can at least exclude certain folders in advance if you know what folders you want to be skipped:

enter this in the 'search for' box:

Code: Select all

*.* | dir1\ dir2\ folder*\
kataleen

Post by *kataleen »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Reading the other thread related to this issue, I didn't understand exaclty why is it not possible to pause the search on mouse hover.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hm, the author stated that there are some problems to be concerned, but he didin't say it's impossible. :)

But the author receives quite a bunch of feature requests, maybe this one got lost in the masses. Otherwise, maybe he has already added this feature to his wishlist but hasn't had time to implement it yet...
kataleen

Post by *kataleen »

I don't know, maybe there is already such thing, but it would be great/nice/helpful if he could make a web page where ALL suggestions/requests are listed and let people vote. This way, Christian can get a feeling on what's really on demand.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have considered this option (I'm using this already for shift+click in main window to go up the directory tree), but the problem is that the directory may change at the very moment when the user clicks on it...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
kataleen

Post by *kataleen »

That's absolutely right. Now we would have to put in a balance the users like me who would understand this and take it as a small inconvenience for a very nice feature and the users that will take it as a bug or poorly conceived feature. This (I think) is where a "feature vote" system would come in handy.

But what i didn't understand exactly, why not pause the search when hovering the status?

Thanks for your reply Christian!
MacQ

Post by *MacQ »

Or you could just add another line under the "search in:" line where it will say "skip folders/directories" and at the end it would be a button which will open a dialog with all the subfolders which you can then CTRL-click and select.

That would be great.
RID500

Post by *RID500 »

MacQ wrote:Or you could just add another line under the "search in:" line where it will say "skip folders/directories" and at the end it would be a button which will open a dialog with all the subfolders which you can then CTRL-click and select.

That would be great.
I think StickyNomad have posted above that this "skip folders" is already possible:
StickyNomad wrote: enter this in the 'search for' box:

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
kataleen wrote:Hi All,
... When doing a file search (text-in-file search), there is often the possibility, that inside the folder I do the search, there is another folder containing thousands of files. Although I see it in the status bar that is being searched, I cannot do anything to skip that, even if I know that there is no chance that I can find there what I am looking for. . ...
I mean an solution could be if we had an PAUSE instead of an STOP button.

1. press SEARCH
2. press PAUSE (if you see there are too many sub dirs)
3. modify the actual search path to an higher level for to continue the search there
4. press PAUSE again (to continue)
MacQ

Post by *MacQ »

RID500 wrote:I think StickyNomad have posted above that this "skip folders" is already possible:
That's true, but when you have like 15 directories to skip it gets a little tiresome. Selecting with the mouse would be much more elegant.

Personally I never needed this, but it's a good suggestion I think.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Suggestion - Annoying thing in File Search (wishes on skip folders feature)

Post by *DrShark »

StickyNomad wrote: 2006-11-22, 13:13 UTCcurrently, you can at least exclude certain folders in advance if you know what folders you want to be skipped:

enter this in the 'search for' box:

MacQ wrote: 2006-11-24, 11:03 UTC That's true, but when you have like 15 directories to skip it gets a little tiresome. Selecting with the mouse would be much more elegant.
I agree a more convenient way to add folders to exclude masks list would be a time saver before, during search and for saving it as a template.
Now Find Files has an option to skip the folder in which it is searching at the moment (or some dir on its upper level):
Help, 'Find files: General' page wrote:<Status line> The status line (footer) shows the directory currently being searched, and the file details after the search has finished. With a click on a part of the directory it is possible to skip that directory (after confirmation).
I suggest to impeove the confirmation dialog, so clicking on Yes button (maybe together with so some key like Ctrl) will not just skip the folder, but also will put its path into "Search in:" field after the pipe.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708