Scroll position in dirlist

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

johram

Scroll position in dirlist

Post by *johram »

I've been searching the forums for a report on this behavioural "glitch", but I haven't found a previous record of it. So here goes:

When moving in/out of a large directory structure (more than one screen in dirlist - full mode), the scrolling position is lost between the folders.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Go to a folder with say 50+ files/folders.
2) Scroll down to a folder in the middle of the list. Click on it. Note its position.
3) Double click or press enter to go into it
4) Go back one level (to the original folder) by double clicking .. or press backspace.
5) Note the position of the marked folder. It has moved down 5-15 entries, depending on its initial position!

This an annoying behaviour, especially when traversing a big folder structure, for example an mp3 collection.

I am a big fan of Total Commander since 7 years. It is the single most important tool in Windows for me, which is why I want it to be perfect :-)

I even downloaded Salamander to check it out. And though it cannot even begin to compare with TC, it keeps track of it's scroll position all right! :)

Thanks and keep up the good work!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There are dozens of ways how you can enter a folder, so I cannot immagine how I could remember that position in all possible ways. For example, the user could double click on "subdir1" to open it, then use the directory hotlist or history to go back to the parent dir. Now where should the cursor be placed?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
johram

Post by *johram »

Thanks for taking the time to answer my suggestion, Christian. To be honest, I don't mind that the cursor position is reset when I use the directory hotlist.

My suggestion is primarily concerned with the basic in- and out walking through dirs. And since you already have a history function for dirs, wouldn't it be possible to store the scroll position with each entry as well? At least for the n last items. Could this be an idea? :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I agree. If possible, the position should be restored for going back by [..] and by the directory history.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

That would be nice, yes!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
johram

Scroll position in dirlist *BUMP*

Post by *johram »

Please include this in the next RC
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Scroll position in dirlist

Post by *DrShark »

It seems as of TC 9.51 RC5, the file focus and scroll position of file in parent location is restored when cm_GotoPreviousDir is used, of the location is picked from Directories History (Alt+Down), but file's scroll position not restored after cm_GoToParent use (in this case only file focus is restored).
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That's also the case in previous versions: The history stores the scroll position in the list, so cm_GotoPreviousDir can load it. However, cm_GoToParent cannot do that because there may be multiple copies of the same history entry with different last positions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

DrShark wrote: 2020-03-15, 11:51 UTC It seems as of TC 9.51 RC5, the file focus and scroll position of file in parent location is restored when cm_GotoPreviousDir is used, of the location is picked from Directories History (Alt+Down), but file's scroll position not restored after cm_GoToParent use (in this case only file focus is restored).
Discussed here not so long ago: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55535&hilit=cursor+position
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar