[Wish] Customisable overlay icons for thumbnails

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

[Wish] Customisable overlay icons for thumbnails

Post by *fenix_productions »

Hi all.

I'd like to describe some idea which came to my mind some time ago and read what other users think about it. So…

We all know about files colouring functionality introduced long time ago. It uses advanced "Find files" filters to define how files names are shown to the user.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's not truly readable in thumbnails view mode. For such situations it would be better to have some graphic indication on thumbnails itself instead of colouring or custom fields. And that is where my idea takes place.

It could be really useful to have customisable overlay icons which would use filters to show proper indication:

Screenshot

Of course, few thing should be changed:

1. Non-exclusive filtering.

Current solution allows to have one filter per name only. Other matching filters are ignored. In the case of thumbnails, multiple filters should be allowed (or optional) to have many different icons for the same files.

Screenshot

2. Content plugins.

In some cases it would nice to have the possibility to display plugin's information on thumbnails. It would allow to have some kind of rating systems (using comments) or just to see files extensions drawn on thumbnail surface.

Screenshot

3. Additional plugins.

Maybe the best solution is to add another type of plugin for overly purposes only. Such DLL would be responsible for rendering additional graphics. TC should only call them and draw graphic received from them.

4. Other...

Overlays position or size could be easily customized to user needs. Feel free to add other requirements / comments for extending such functionality or making this idea more detailed.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [Wish] Customisable overlay icons for thumbnails

Post by *fenix_productions »

After 11 years of waiting I wonder… was it even ever considered?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...