7zip native?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Egh

Post by *Egh »

I would kindly suggest -- 7.60 even ;)

btw, whilst we are still at it. ISO format support (at least read-only) is badly needed as a native feature.

I still have troubles even with the most up-to-date version of ISO plugin :((
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

There will be no TC 7.60. 7.59 max, then 8.0. :)

I'm using 7-Zip with Multiarc addon for reading ISO.
isidro

Post by *isidro »

Same here, I use the plugin, but it doesn't support LZMA2 for instance...
alexk

Post by *alexk »

Many self-extr. archives currently based on 7z. And plugins not always correctly handle with it.
May be native support not solve this problem, but it make work more comfortable.
Auguste

Post by *Auguste »

Native 7z support would be epic.
JohnMirror

Post by *JohnMirror »

Yes, adding 7z is a good idea.
andres992

Post by *andres992 »

I also support adding 7z to the packers configuration dialog.
#68776 Personal Licence
Phr3d

Post by *Phr3d »

pass or low priority, ranks with refresh the look.

I'm not getting the attraction of the format, beyond the (apparently) fact that it is ISN'T WinRAR.
negligible compression improvements in the current cheap trans/cheap storage IT environment, open source so it can run on specialized flavors = limited audience of people that are using it for their own 'statement' in distro.

historically, reminds me of .ARJ, lol
end rant
carpe` cervesi
knf (35402)
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Primarily, it is used heavily in MultiArc. And the DLL IIRC is not unicode compliant. Thus people desire internal support for the format.
@Wikipedia wrote:7-Zip is able to open some MSI files, allowing access to the meta-files within along with the main contents. Some Microsoft CAB (LZX compression) and NSIS (LZMA) installer formats can be opened, meaning that 7-Zip can be used to check if a binary file is an archive. Similarly, some executable programs (.EXEs) may be opened as archives and have their contents extracted by 7-Zip.
WinRAR can do some of that, but that is one area where I will admit 7Z is better. Interestingly, it's quite possible WinRAR would be able to get similiar compression (as 7z), but Mr.Roshal has declined to enable the MASSIVE dictionary size that would be required to do so. This is what 7zip does, large dictionary, large chunks of RAM and more time required to compress (and more RAM required to decompress). I haven't looked at it in some time, but everytime I do it (7zip) feels like a typical Open Source project - rough around the edges and without polish. WinRar has been around quite a while, and has features you just wont find in competing tools.
mpmfs

Post by *mpmfs »

PRO 7z 8)

A native 7zip support would be VERY fine :-)

In my opinion: 7z and zip are my favourite. 7z should be supported, because it is free and it is a "new" and good file archiver. It is also possible to decompress rar-files (if necessary).

I didn't see ARJ for years, too. But I have still a arj-program on a 3,5" floppy disc - so I can use it if necessary :wink:

thx
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

I still use ARJ, it is useful for me to send packed EXE files without being rejected by some mail servers.