Multi Rename Tool: no "Close" button needed

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

louwin

Multi Rename Tool: no "Close" button needed

Post by *louwin »

I am using the MRT to clean up the file names of eBooks to "Add" them to a library. There are thousands of filenames to change.

I select a few files to change, click on the MRT button, enter the "Search for" and "Replace with" data and press "Return". The MRT does it job and sits there waiting for the "Close" button to be clicked.

99.99% percent of the time, that's it, job well done. It seems pointless to have to click on close everytime :(

I, personnally, have NEVER pressed "Undo" or "Result List". "Start" or "Return/Enter" and the enforced "Close", that's it.

I realise that somebody else may want this interaction so I wouldn't ask for a "global" change but is there/can there be an option to not require the final close click?

I realise there can be errors and if so, by all means, display the dialog.

But if everything worked perfectly can we have an option to skip the "Close" button?

Thanks in anticipation :)
There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
bela_bacsi

Post by *bela_bacsi »

+1 vote
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's kept open for multi-step rename, with the button to the left of "Start".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bela_bacsi

Post by *bela_bacsi »

Understood. Thank you for the response!
bela_bacsi

Re: Multi Rename Tool: no "Close" button needed

Post by *bela_bacsi »

OK. I was simply polite to the author :) of the number 1 program on any computer. But in fact, I think, the better solution is to NOT have the close button (= default behavior is autoclose after renaming), but have instead a checkbox "Leave open the panel after renaming". Because the need in second-third using of panel is about <1% of cases, based on my usage, and so, the "price" for this chance is 99 clicks -- it is too big price.

The best way, I think: to have a setting, as minimum in .INI, for choosing between actual behavior and the mentioned above.
Last edited by bela_bacsi on 2018-08-09, 19:25 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

So there are users which do tausends of MRT per day
and therefore lose valuable time with clicking the Close button. :lol:
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-08, 17:59 UTC Because the need in second-third using of panel is about >1% of cases, based on my usage, and so, the "price" for this chance is 99 clicks -- it is too big price.
And based on my usage, the need to look at the rename results is about 80%.
bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-08, 17:59 UTCThe best way, I think: to have a setting, as minimum in .INI, for choosing between actual behavior and the mentioned above.
Yes, additional setting in INI may be useful, but you really don't need to use any button in MRT. You can navigate with keyboard and press Escape key – in most cases it's faster as you are already using keyboard to enter needed changes.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
bela_bacsi

Post by *bela_bacsi »

By the way, if to create the mentioned above checkbox with behavior "Remember checking state", then NOBODY will lose anything. A little checkbox with text "Leave pane" is not a big place to use. (And even, its presence could be regulated in .INI, too -- so absolutely nothing to lose.) But all of like me (<1% need of 2nd-3rd use) will profit.

Usher: thank you for an escape click tip; but I prefer to use keyboard as minimum, as I can. (I have buttons on my mouse.) And as I have enough renaming presets for my needs, in most cases I do not need to type in anything.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2018-08-09, 08:29 UTC So there are users which do tausends of MRT per day
and therefore lose valuable time with clicking the Close button. :lol:
Horst.Epp, you must not use LOL emoticon. Yes, I AM such a guy; for example, when I correct-categorize my music files. And not I am the only one -- not I started this topic. (And there were 1,271 readers.) Do not forget to calculate the time for finding with eyes the red closing button + reaction time of your neurons (minimum 0.7 sec totaly between the perception and reaction; and will more by age) + time for navigating there with the mouse + clicking. Remember the main goal of TC -- to save our time.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-09, 19:39 UTC Remember the main goal of TC -- to save our time.
And remember, that this goal is reached mainly with keyboard use optimizing…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
bela_bacsi

Post by *bela_bacsi »

Usher wrote: 2018-08-10, 01:18 UTC And remember, that this goal is reached mainly with keyboard use optimizing…
Why? Where is it written? In what canons? Sorry, I did not read that bible, but am very happy with TC with mainly mouse using.

All right. I understood, there ARE people, not interested in this optimization -- I knew it so far. As there are others, who ARE affected by this question. But I can not understand, why first type people want to force anything and/or anybody, and why they write in this topic, while they are not affected. This section is about the suggestions to the author, not about teaching others, how to use computer.

Especially if it is clear, that you are thinking wrong. You can calculate a little: an intensive user uses dozens of TC's functions. Every function may need more than one clicks. And this is, so far, only the first program, only for file managing. Do you think, that human brain is capable to remember thousends of shortcuts? Or is it quicker to find underscored letters, and later, with big focus and pupilla-size changing from display to keyboard, the keys on the keyboard? Losing focus from REAL task on the display? Then it is time to open a human physiology book. And to think about, why people write thousends of posts about optimization of tollbar buttons, used with mouse; and why mouse and mouse-controlled graphical user interfaces (GUI) were developed. Or you still use DOS 6.2?
Last edited by bela_bacsi on 2018-08-10, 12:38 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-10, 11:40 UTC
Usher wrote: 2018-08-10, 01:18 UTC And remember, that this goal is reached mainly with keyboard use optimizing…
Why? Where is it written? In what canons? Sorry, I did not read that bible, but am very happy with TC with mainly mouse using.

All right. I understood, there ARE people, not interested in this optimization -- I knew it so far. As there are others, who ARE affected by this question. But I can not understand, why first type people want to force anything and/or anybody, and why they write in this topic, while they are not affected. This section is about the suggestions to the author, not about teaching others, how to use computer.

Especially if it is clear, that you are thinking wrong. You can calculate a little: an intensive user uses dozens of TC's functions. Every function may need more than one clicks. And this is, so far, only the first program, only for file managing. Do you think, that human brain is capable to remember thousends of shortcuts? Or is it quicker to find underscored letters, and later, with big focus and pupilla-size changing from display to keyboard, the keys on the keyboard? Losing focus from REAL task on the display? Then it is time to open a human physiology book. And to think about, why people write thousends of posts about optimization of tollbar buttons, used with mouse; and why mouse and mouse-controlled user interfaces were developed. Or you still use DOS 6.2?
I guess most poeble have learned to find and use the ESC key on their keyboard.
This terminates not only the MRT but also is common sense and the shortest way even for mouse users.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
bela_bacsi

Post by *bela_bacsi »

Sorry, it seems, you only citated, but did not read and/or understand my post.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-10, 11:40 UTC As there are others, who ARE affected by this question.
Where are they? So far I see only two.
bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-10, 11:40 UTC But I can not understand, why first type people want to force anything and/or anybody,
And you as part of the second type people do exactly the same, only the other way around.
bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-10, 11:40 UTC, and why they write in this topic, while they are not affected. This section is about the suggestions to the author,
So the author gets both sides of the view what different users await from TC future.

But don't worry, your suggestion may already be noted by the author and is documented in the sub forum.

bela_bacsi

Post by *bela_bacsi »

Sorry, it seems, you only citated, but did not read and/or understand my post.

Contrary to others, I have no payment for trolling, so only one example:
Stefan2 wrote: 2018-08-10, 13:54 UTC
bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-10, 11:40 UTC As there are others, who ARE affected by this question.
Where are they? So far I see only two.
bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-09, 19:39 UTC(And there were 1,271 readers.)
All you 3 (if 3...) men, continue, if you want; but do not wait more response from me. I like real, useful discussions.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

bela_bacsi wrote: 2018-08-10, 11:40 UTC
Here you are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_manager#Orthodox_file_managers
Read and learn…
Andrzej P. Wozniak