Save session data for crash recovery.

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

avada

Save session data for crash recovery.

Post by *avada »

Hi!

I miss this feature very much. I lost several hours of changes countless times, when for some reason TC was terminated abnormally.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

What changes did you lose? It is interesting what can we do in TC during several hours and then lost changes. :)
avada

Post by *avada »

MVV wrote:What changes did you lose? It is interesting what can we do in TC during several hours and then lost changes. :)
Pfff... I don't know. Didn't keep a list. At the very least the tabs changed a lot. :)
avada

Post by *avada »

I really thought that I am not alone with this....
Windows 10
avada

Post by *avada »

I'm still hoping for this. Unfortunately I get system crashes/hangs and whatnot rather often.
So TC resets to a state I left it sometimes a day or two before, because it tends to always run and only close it on system shutdown.
Windows 10
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Would it be sufficient to save just the state of the tabs?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
avada

Post by *avada »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Would it be sufficient to save just the state of the tabs?
Yes, I think it should be for most cases. It would definitely be an improvement. (Maybe with also the command line history.)

Based on myself, configuration changes are a lot rarer, so should cause frustration only very rarely.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

avada wrote:I'm still hoping for this. Unfortunately I get system crashes/hangs and whatnot rather often.
So TC resets to a state I left it sometimes a day or two before, because it tends to always run and only close it on system shutdown.
Then how about fixing your broken system instead of expecting tc to jump through loops for you?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
avada

Post by *avada »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
avada wrote:I'm still hoping for this. Unfortunately I get system crashes/hangs and whatnot rather often.
Then how about fixing your broken system instead of expecting tc to jump through loops for you?
A. How about not spamming this topic with your narrow minded and foolish (and hostile)comments like this...

B. Some sort of session data safety is not jumping through hoops, it's a useful feature. Especially for one that's usually running constantly.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

avada wrote:A. How about not spamming this topic with your narrow minded and foolish (and hostile)comments like this...
So where is
Sir_SiLvA wrote:Then how about fixing your broken system instead of expecting tc to jump through loops for you?
HOSTILE?

Looks more like you are hostile as you
#1 never provided any crash reports on bug forum
#2 never tried to fix your broken system (yes if software rather often crashes its broken!)
#3 tried using the ie following:
avada wrote:B. Some sort of session data safety is not jumping through hoops, it's a useful feature. Especially for one that's usually running constantly.
You get exactly this by restarting tc... theres even a restarttc.exe you can get on the big tc addon page....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
avada

Post by *avada »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
avada wrote:A. How about not spamming this topic with your narrow minded and foolish (and hostile)comments like this...
So where is
Sir_SiLvA wrote:Then how about fixing your broken system instead of expecting tc to jump through loops for you?
HOSTILE?

Looks more like you are hostile as you
#1 never provided any crash reports on bug forum
#2 never tried to fix your broken system (yes if software rather often crashes its broken!)
#3 tried using the ie following:
avada wrote:B. Some sort of session data safety is not jumping through hoops, it's a useful feature. Especially for one that's usually running constantly.
You get exactly this by restarting tc... theres even a restarttc.exe you can get on the big tc addon page....
You just keep assuming, and not even reading what I said. I never claimed TC was crashing, I wrote explicitly that my system does, so nothing to report.
You assume I didn't do anything to fix this, that's also wrong. I just couldn't.

You just blurted into the topic your malignant criticism. Which isn't even on topic.

You're seriously claiming restarting a program is anywhere near equivalent to crash recovery? That's clossing the session, not making it more secure.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

4 years and your not able to fix your crashing system?

YOU are simple NOT able to understand what YOU want doesnt work:
lets say tc writes data the moment your BROKEN system crashes it will do even MORE damage....

whatever float your boat enjoy your BROKEN system and welcome to ignore....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Sir_SiLvA,
You have been warned about your impolite behavior. You are now banned for seven days.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2avada
I agree with Sir_SiLvA, although he expressed his thoughts quite bluntly. Why? Well, you could be losing other data as well in the crashes, from other programs or even your documents, pictures, videos and so on. Maybe you don't even notice because the data is already written to the disk. But you can't be sure about that! System crashes are always an indication of some deeper issue, either in hardware and/or in software.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
A crashing system is never OK but that's not a reason not to implement autosave in Word, actually, it's quite the opposite.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.