Option for default search of subdirectories or not

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Orion

Option for default search of subdirectories or not

Post by *Orion »

When searching for files in TC (Alt + F7) the search dialogue window contains an option for searchin subdirectories. The value in the combobox has the default value of "all (unlimited depth). This can be changed to "current dir only" which I need 95% or more of the time. So I have to remember always to go up and change this setting as otherwise the search will go through many layers of subdirectories which clutters the search result list as well as possibly flushing the os caching of the the files names in the current directory. When searching just current directory the second and subsequent searches are lightning fast as the filenames will have been cached by the OS.

Since I use the filename search function very often. It would be great if the default value in the combobox could be set as an option.
Best regards,

Orion
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hello Orion,
Why don't you use the Quicksearch (Ctrl-S) instead? Should quite fit your needs.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Also Configuration - Quick Search to tweak default search key (Ctrl+S is a quick filter).
Orion

Post by *Orion »

Oh, I do use Quicksearch extensively as well. It was a very nice improvement when it was implemented. As mentioned I have it configured as default when search on filenames by typing letters directly in the pane.

However, I use the Alt + F7 a lot when searching for text inside the files and it is particularly in that case the OS caching comes to its right. After text searching this way through the main directory with perhaps over two thousand files the next text search will be very fast as long as the cache is not flushed out by a search in several levels of subdirectories which also contain thousands of files.

You can stop the search when it is started and you observe that it is starting on the subdirectories but often I leave it unattended and go on with some other task while it is searching.
Best regards,

Orion
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Orion

After searching for first time, feed the result to listbox, next times when you press Alt+F7 while the search result is the active panel, the search will be limited to the files in the search result. (note that the Search in: field is empty)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Orion,
Set search deep level and then save search preset (Load/Save tab) as e.g. InCurDir. Then create buttonbar button or em-command and hotkey for command LOADSEARCH InCurDir instead of Alt+F7 (BTW you can even redefine Alt+F7 for such command).
Orion

Post by *Orion »

This is workable solution
Thank for the tip MVV.
Best regards,

Orion
never3ver4get

Re:

Post by *never3ver4get »

MVV wrote: 2013-03-06, 06:59 UTC Orion,
Set search deep level and then save search preset (Load/Save tab) as e.g. InCurDir. Then create buttonbar button or em-command and hotkey for command LOADSEARCH InCurDir instead of Alt+F7 (BTW you can even redefine Alt+F7 for such command).
I want to set default search in folder as a certain folder but I don't know how to do it.

By the way, I'm newbie of TC. I don't really know how to create buttonbar button or em-command and hotkey for command.

So, please help me to give more detailed instructions.

Thank you.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Re:

Post by *Stefan2 »

never3ver4get wrote: 2021-02-17, 08:06 UTC
MVV wrote: 2013-03-06, 06:59 UTC Orion,

I want to set default search in folder as a certain folder but I don't know how to do it.
Just open the Search -- while your are in that specific folder -- and keep that path while saving.
Or paste in the path just before saving.

never3ver4get wrote: 2021-02-17, 08:06 UTC By the way, I'm newbie of TC. I don't really know how to create buttonbar button or em-command and hotkey for command.

So, please help me to give more detailed instructions.

Hi and welcome to the community.

Please see if you can find something useful in that collections of forum wisdoms:> https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52425

If not, use that keywords found there to search the forum. Maybe best with google and site:ghisler.ch -option.
Or just ask...