enable function keys in result page when searching for files

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pba

enable function keys in result page when searching for files

Post by *pba »

When searching for files (names, content, size, ...) the result will be displayed in a special window (lower part of the search entry mask). If I want to look into a file using F3 (= lister) or F4 ( = editor) this is not working. Instead one has to use the context menu (right button of the mouse). But nevertheless F3 or F4 would be faster and matches best to the known behaviour of totalcommander.
PBA #53713 (personal)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

F3 works for me !
Using TC 8.01 x64
pba

Sorry

Post by *pba »

you are right. I've concluded from F4 to F3. It would be perfect to have F4 also working.
PBA #53713 (personal)
pba

.. and more options like

Post by *pba »

- compare file with another file (in the result set)
- put filename and path into clipboard
PBA #53713 (personal)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Use 'Feed to listbox' button.
pba

Post by *pba »

If you are searching in ZIP files 'Feed to listbox' doesn't work (at least if you have an hit located in a ZIP file).
PBA #53713 (personal)
pba

Coming back to this issues

Post by *pba »

Thank you for your answers (Horst and MVV).

I insist that there is a inconsistency in behaviour of the total commander: In the two window display you can use either F3 or F4 (if configured correctly using notepad, textpad, ...) to look on or into files (depending from file type and configuration). If you are using the result window of searches only F3 works. Very often I'm trying to use F4 in this window because I'm accustomed to use it. Because nothing happens I detect "uuuups, I'm on the search result window".

Agreed: "Feed to listbox" is for complexe operations (compare, ...).

Remark for me: "Feed to listbox" is the button on the right side on the lower line (in German version translated as "anwenden").
PBA #53713 (personal)
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

pba wrote:If you are searching in ZIP files 'Feed to listbox' doesn't work (at least if you have an hit located in a ZIP file).
If i remember Christian stated once that the intermediate result should not be altered by any "modification" operation as it could have affected the result itself ... bla bla bla ...
You should probably ask or suggest that the feed to listbox should be available for files inside archive also or even ask for a backgound feed to Listbox that append to the "listbox" found files on the flow.
pba

Post by *pba »

Good point. And I could imagine that this is difficult to overcome.

This will lead to different requirements:

=====================
Applying "feed to listbox" is only possible if there is no match in Zip-Files
=====================
search result window
F3 is working on "normal files"
F3 is working on matches in Zip-Files (if choosen to be searched)
Applying "feed to listbox" (if there is no Zip-File in hit list)
F3 is working on "normal files"

F3 does not make changes
=====================
search result window
F4 is not working on "normal files"
F4 is not working on matches in Zip-Files (if choosen to be searched)
Applying "feed to listbox" (if there is no Zip-File in hit list)
F4 is working after applying "feed to listbox"

F4 could save changes and this could affect the result set in the search result window.

Remarks:
(a) Still it is one step more. search result windows behaves differently as two windows display.
(b) Alternative: Instead of "feed to listbox" you can choose by mouse "open with" / select tool. But it is still a step more AND you could influence the result set (i. e. in a new search this file is perhaps not hit).
=====================
The same happens if you are using user defined keys (compare, ...) instead of F4 on the search result window. In this case usually you don't have an alternative like "open with"
=====================
For me it would be not necessary to use "feed to listbox" even on zip files.
PBA #53713 (personal)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually "feed to listbox" already works, but with some restrictions:

1. If only files from one ZIP are found, that ZIP is shown as the base directory, and the found files with relative paths in the file list.

2. If files from multiple ZIPs or normal files plus files from zip are found, TC will only show the ZIPs themselves instead of the files in them. There isn't much TC could do with a mix of files from multiple ZIPs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pba

Post by *pba »

My issue does not concern "feed to listbox" but the result window itself. During discussion "feed to listbox" with the restrictions described by you was a proposition to solve my problem.

Brgds,
Peter
PBA #53713 (personal)
bafibo

Post by *bafibo »

It's only short ago that I found out what it meant with "feed to listbox" (I use the German version, and "anwenden" is not really a good translation!). But nevertheless I'd like to have an option "copy list to clipboard" (or text file). In this case it would be easier to list the found files included in a packed file if there was a contents' search.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

bafibo,
Strg-C?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pba

Re: enable function keys in result page when searching for files

Post by *pba »

I forgot to document in this issue, that my suggestion has become reality: In the result window one can use F3 or F4 to display a file of the search results. This works fine since I assume 9.x (I haven't checked the release notes). Thank you!

I have a further suggestion (you see, I'm finding and using more and more functions in total commander): Now I'm using ALT+F3 to open another edit-tool (like Notepad++). Would it be possible to use ALT+F3 additionally in the result window of the search? (the behaviour of result window concerning opening of files would by the same as the common directory file list).
PBA #53713 (personal)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: enable function keys in result page when searching for files

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I tried adding it when adding F4, but had too many problems so I postponed it for later...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com