"Locked, but directory changes allowed" alternative behaviour

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bela_bacsi

Re:

Post by *bela_bacsi »

I-Vladimir wrote: 2018-02-20, 20:05 UTC Take my vote to get that option added. Any indication (color or an asterisk at the end of tab name) would be also great.
If drag & drop is an issue, I think it can be deactivated when the root tab folder changed.
Thanks
+1 vote
bogordo

Re: "Locked, but directory changes allowed" alter beha

Post by *bogordo »

Was searching for this feature...

+1 to get that option added!! :D

BTW something similar happens if a Show Tree view, when i change tab and return the tree is still there, isn't this same problem of expecting tab's name path??
TC license #346559
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: "Locked, but directory changes allowed" alternative behaviour

Post by *DrShark »

It seems, a new Total Commander 10 option, "Configuration"->"Folder Tabs"->""Return to locked tab root directory on tab change", if disabled, allows to achieve what is requested in this topic. Thanks for implementing this! I will test how it works now.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, please test it extensively! I have had it enabled for the last few months, but I may have missed some problems.

Total Commander shows an "!" before the "*" when the current path differs from the locked path, so you can see that there is a difference even for currently inactive tabs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

So far feature seems to work fine.
I think the nice addition to it would be if to show also the root (locked) tab path in tooltips for tabs with "Locked, but directory changes allowed" option active. For such backgound tabs then it the toolips could have 2 lines (current and locked paths). Example possible tooltip look:

Code: Select all

c:\current\path\
Tab Root: c:\locked\path\
For active locked tabs with directory changes allowed Total Commander currently doesn't show the tooltip with current path, so for such tabs TC can either show only locked path if it's different from current one, or it can also start showing the current path too, which duplicates the value of Current directory bar (which can be hidden with cm_VisCurDir, so in the tooltip this information can be valuable too).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a really nice idea, I will try to add it.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

history1000.txt wrote:17.03.21 Added: Folder tabs: For locked tabs with directory changes allowed, show both the current directory and the locked directory if they are different (32/64)
Thanks for adding this! Still, since it's possible that the directory name in both locked and current path could be the same (with different only the path itself), it's woth to add the "Tab root:" prefix for the locked path which is a second line in the tooltip. And I still think such tooltips will be helpful for active tabs of active and inactive panels too.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tried this, but it didn't look good:
1. "Tab root:" in front of the path makes the two paths misaligned, otherwise they would be e.g.
c:\locked path\subdir
c:\locked path
which looks much better.
2. "Tab root:" on a second line also doesn't look good, e.g.
c:\locked path\subdir
Tab root:
c:\locked path
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-03-22, 15:21 UTC "Tab root:" in front of the path makes the two paths misaligned [...] "Tab root:" on a second line also doesn't look good
How about just putting the exclamation mark in front of the one of paths (I guess current one, not locked):

Code: Select all

!c:\path
Still misaligned with another line, but just a bit :) And some clear up needs to be added in help to explain what "!" in front of the path in the tooltip means.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

DrShark wrote: 2021-03-22, 16:05 UTCHow about just putting the exclamation mark in front of the one of paths [...]
This change is not implemented in beta 3. It is not good enough? Is a little misaligning a bif deal?
DrShark wrote: 2021-03-20, 07:12 UTCAnd I still think such tooltips will be helpful for active tabs of active and inactive panels too.
This suggestion is also not implemented. I think the tooltips with both paths are helpful even for tabs of active panels, especially if the name of folder of current path is the same as a name of locked folder. Tooltip will show the actual path of locked folder.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It causes misalignment too, which looks very bad when the current directory is a child of the locked directory.
And I still think such tooltips will be helpful for active tabs of active and inactive panels too.
I have considered it, but TC already shows the current directory in a separate control. It would only be useful when there is a different locked tab.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-03-29, 13:58 UTCIt causes misalignment too, which looks very bad when the current directory is a child of the locked directory.
I'm not sure that it's very different in the tooltip of the tab, but I created a following comment:
!c:\locked\path\child\
c:\locked_path\
and in the tooltip little misalignment doesn't look very bed, at least to me..,
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-03-29, 13:58 UTC
DrShark wrote: 2021-03-20, 07:12 UTCAnd I still think such tooltips will be helpful for active tabs of active and inactive panels too.
I have considered it, but TC already shows the current directory in a separate control. It would only be useful when there is a different locked tab.
1. As I mentioned above, "current directory" control can be hidden (e.g. to save the screen space for file list), so the path in the tab tooltip could be an additional sorce of info about current directory path.
2. Even when "current directory" control is not hidden, the tooltip which shows current and locked path I find still helpful e.g. for a case when both locked and current dir have the same name.
3. The "current directory" control only shows the current directory, and when it's not locked one, tooltip would provide the info where Ctrl+\ would switch the user.