Rough timestamp compare in Sync tool

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Rough timestamp compare in Sync tool

Post by *MVV »

Please add an option to ignore seconds in timestamps during comparing in Sync tool, or maybe even to set custom ammount of seconds in allowed difference.

Such an option is mostly required for syncing with Android devices (via ADB plugin) which are stupid enough to make a complete mess with timestamps, I've often see that timestamps are changed a bit, e.g. seconds are zeroed or something else, so TC shows that most of device files are changed, so it slows already slow process even more.

With such feature I would assume equal files with same size and timestamps that differ by e.g. less than a minute.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

I would use that too, ...drive me crazy, copying files after some months/weeks to another drive
where names and size (and so content) are same,
but time stamp differs two seconds or one hour (Daylight saving time) or two hours (different timezone)

Should be a feature with setting-on-the-fly (not hidden in INI), or a parameter on calling the sync tool.

Would be nice for copy/move feature (F5/F6) too.

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Rough timestamp compare in Sync tool

Post by *MVV »

I was able to make a content comparison plugin allowing to ignore timestamp differences within a minute, so the problem is some kind of solved, but it requires too much movements (ignoring timestamps, adding a content comparison plugin).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Unfortunately comparison plugin can't be used with WFX plugins, so it doesn't help at all comparing local timestamps with crazy timestamps on Android devices using ADB plugin. I don't know why but stupid Android constantly changes seconds in timestamps, so timestamps look different almost always. So specifying an epsilon for comparing would be awesome. :)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2MVV
What is the change? If the seconds are rounded to even numbers (0,2,4,6,8) it's for compatibility reasons. I suspect it may be made automatically by FAT file system drivers, as the rounding is typical for DOS timestamps.
Some compression tools also use such a rounding. What is more, some tools seems to use rounding up, which may change DAY, MONTH and YEAR in a timestamp like 2019-12-31 23:59:59.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Keeping timestamps in Android it is a pain at all, but timestamps may change slightly for files that aren't modified at all, so every time when I sync phone root with PC folder, all files look different. It can change seconds to arbitrary values, I don't see any regularity, it looks like it changes them randomly.

So I would set epsilon to a hour for example to ignore slight differences but to notice serious changes. Currently I have to ignore timestamps at all and rely only on file sizes, but it isn't safe.