Cursor position in file panes after Ctrl+U

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

browny

Cursor position in file panes after Ctrl+U

Post by *browny »

Let's say that 3rd file in the left pane, and 8th in the right pane are under cursors.
Now switch sides with Ctrl+U.
It would be natural to see 8th file in the left and 3rd in the right would be under cursors.
However, it would still be 3rd file in the left, and 8th in the right (provided there were at least 8 files on the left initially).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cursor position in file panes after Ctrl+U

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't see this as a bug, but it would be a nice addition. Therefore I'm moving this thread to suggestions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
browny

Post by *browny »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2018-08-10, 08:46 UTC I don't see this as a bug
The current behaviour is as good as random selection of cursor position, hence it is a bug.

It was just noticed that sorting order was not swapped together with file lists; and that could be treated as a suggestion.
Far manager could be seen as an example of a more logical implementation of side swapping: pane attributes, including sorting order and cursor position, are "moved" together with file lists.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I support that the cursor position should follow the file when panels are swapped - as browny says, the current behavior is as good as random selection.

But the suggestion of having the sort order follow the swap is more complex. If the view type in the two panels is not the same (for example Full View on one side and Custom Columns View on the other side) then the view type should also be swapped, otherwise there is no guarantee that the same sort order can be applied after the swap.

If this is going to be implied it should certainly be optional, maybe with a new shortcut key like Alt+Ctrl+U (Shift+Ctrl+U is already used). I often swap panels to apply the View and Sort order of the opposite panel to the content of my current panel - that would be broken if View and Sort Order was always swapped together with panel content.
Last edited by petermad on 2018-08-12, 15:42 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I support to swap the cursor position and also View and Sort order
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
browny

Post by *browny »

petermad wrote: 2018-08-12, 15:25 UTC But the suggestion of having the sort order follow the swap is more complex.
There is no way to be sure without seeing source code, but if it is possible to reassign objects that are displayed in each panel, then the full swap with all attributes would be almost trivial.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I would add it now if it were so easy, but it's not - for example, you could have different filters (e.g. *.doc on one side and *.* on the other), different sort orders etc., so the file under the cursor may be something different at the new position.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com