Compare multiple files by content

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Compare multiple files by content

Post by *Hacker »

Hi,
Currently I am not aware of a way to easily check if several files have identical contents or not (Search for duplicates / Compare checksums / Copy to target panel and sync dirs, etc.). Therefore I'd like to propose an enhancement to the Compare By Content function for multiple files. The result would not be any visual comparison of differences, only a short message if the files are or are not equal.

The logic would follow the CbC logic, so, if no files are selected, the usual CbC is invoked.
If multiple files are selected (in one or both panels), all selected files are compared against each other and the result is a message saying either that the files are identical or that the files are different (similar to the situation when TC does not have enough memory to load the files and show the differences).
Perhaps it would be doable that if only one file is different and all the others are identical, TC would show the name of the one different file.
This could be implemented as a new cm_CompareMultipleFilesByContent as to not break backwards compatibility.

TIA for any comments.
Roman
P.S.: I am aware I could write an AHK script to compare selected files, however, I'd like to not go that way.
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Compare multiple files by content

Post by *petermad »

If multiple files are selected (in one or both panels), all selected files are compared against each other and the result is a message
Currently selecting two files in the same panel makes a visual comparison, not just a message - I use that a lot so multiple has to be 3 or more to not break backwards compability,
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
petermad wrote:to not break backwards compability
Hacker wrote:This could be implemented as a new cm_CompareMultipleFilesByContent as to not break backwards compatibility.
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

I'd also like to be able to compare more than two files. Currently I do this by generating checksums for the files and comparing them.

How about this;

If you're only comparing two files (same pane, or opposing panes), CBC works the same as it does now. If you're comparing three or more files, TC generates a checksum for all the selected files. If all the files match, it tells you so. If any of the files are different, TC will display a list of all the files, with matching files grouped together.

For example, let's say that you compare five files, files A, B, and C are the same, files D and E are different, but match each other. TC would show that A-C are identical and D & E are identical to each other, but different from the first three. You would then have the option of selecting any two of the files for a traditional CBC, at which point, TC would act as if you had selected only those two files and initiated a CBC.