[WISH] Search presets reset target directories

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Python

[WISH] Search presets reset target directories

Post by *Python »

I have found this... hmm... "feature" in TC 7.02, but in recently downloaded 9.21 this pitfall presets too.
When I press Alt-F7, select Load/Save tab and double-click on any preset, my "Search In" directory reverts to saved in preset. That's quite uncomfortable, mostly, I wish to search in the same directory and load from preset file masks, attributes, date/time parameters, and so on.
I think, it's not hard to implement this feature: if "preset_SearchIn" (preset - is the real name of preset) in [Searcies] section of wincmd.ini (or redirected ini) is empty, or absent, then don't touch search in directory.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [WISH] Search presets reset target directories

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome, Python
Python wrote: 2018-10-07, 08:39 UTC When I press Alt-F7, select Load/Save tab and double-click on any preset, my "Search In" directory reverts to saved in preset.
That's quite uncomfortable, mostly, I wish to search in the same directory and load from preset file masks, attributes, date/time parameters, and so on.

Solution:
Empty the "Search In" box before saving your preset.

So load your preset, modify and save again, overwriting.

Python

Post by *Python »

Stefan2 wrote: 2018-10-07, 10:11 UTC Solution:
Empty the "Search In" box before saving your preset.
That does not help.
Let me show, what I mean. Screenshots are from 7.02 version, but they are the same in 9.21 (now, it's under sandbox, some days later, after all plugins will be tested, I will use it at regular base)
http://pastexen.com/i/3yITJPb0LT.png - I'm in my folder, where I wish to find something.
http://pastexen.com/i/Z4dISBIrO8.png - I tap Alt-F7 to open the search dialog. "Search In" field is filled with folder name, where I was before.
http://pastexen.com/i/8Q1xlUm3nK.png - I select one preset on Load/Save tab. Presets are in russian (I switch interface to english to simplify understanding), selected preset means "Hidden files" and preset visible in wincmd.ini as two lines:
@Скрытые файлы_SearchFor=*.*
@Скрытые файлы_SearchFlags=0|000002000020||||||||22112|0000|
(line *_SearchIn= I remove manually, this does nothing)
http://pastexen.com/i/Ea0Q5HKZAF.png - I switch back to search tab and... "Search In" field is empty!
Where am I wrong?
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Change to:

Code: Select all

(preset name)_SearchIn=>
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Python wrote: 2018-10-12, 18:16 UTC...
- I select one preset on Load/Save tab.
- I switch back to search tab and... "Search In" field is empty!
Is not that is what you want? ... Load a saved pre-set with empty "Search In" field ?

Note: if the "Search In" field is empty, the current (active) folder is used to search in.

Are you confused by the empty "Search In" field ?
Or did I still not understand what you are after?
You may write in Russian language too to express yourself better, if that helps. There are other members from Russia here too. :D

Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

From TC help
( mk:@MSITStore:TOTALCMD.CHM::/dlg_search.htm )

Code: Select all

Search in: Here you can enter one or more starting directories, separated by ";". You can now start the search inside an archive.
Put '>' character in this field before saving the search to keep the "Search in" field unchanged when loading the saved search.
Python

Re: [WISH] Search presets reset target directories [closed]

Post by *Python »

Stefan2 wrote: 2018-10-12, 18:34 UTC Note: if the "Search In" field is empty, the current (active) folder is used to search in.
That is not obvious (as for me, I'm listening about this feature for the first time). Yes, I've checked that and it works, but sometimes (rarely but happens) I write to "Search in" field my own value and... So, better to view "real" search path, so this is not good solution.
Gral wrote: 2018-10-12, 19:20 UTC Put '>' character in this field before saving the search to keep the "Search in" field unchanged when loading the saved search.
That's quite good solution. Now, I can see, what's happened. I found in "What's new", that this feature was implemented in 8.0 and later versions of Total Commander. Many years I haven't read help files because of their useless... in many cases that was correct. Not in such case.
Stefan2 wrote: 2018-10-12, 18:34 UTC There are other members from Russia here too. :D
Maybe, but the main topic has [English] in it's name. So, the russian proverb talks: "Don't enter to alien monastery with your own rules". So, it's better to talk in english, where others expects english, russian when others expects russian and so on.
The issue is closed.