New dirs and files creation: keyboard access of Choose plugin property dialog

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

New dirs and files creation: keyboard access of Choose plugin property dialog

Post by *DrShark »

Like MRT, new file and folder creation dialog uses [±] "speed button" (not accessible with Tab key) for adding plugin fields (and other placeholders). But unlike [=? Plugin] speed button in MRT, [±] speed button in new dir and file creation dialogs is not underlined, so Alt+<underlined letter> from keyboard can't be used either to access it.

My suggestion:
if New name input field begins with <[=?] text (so <Error!> will be shown as a new name) and user presses Enter, show "Choose plugin property" dialog, and if user will confirm some plugin field there, either replace <[=?] text with it, or add a plugin field after <[=?] (so user can press Enter to call "Choose plugin property" dialog again.)
The same approach may be used if <[=?] typed in MRT's Rename mask: file name or Extension fields, so user won't have to switch language to access translated [=? Plugin] speed button (this problem discussed previously here.)
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: New dirs and files creation: keyboard access of Choose plugin property dialog

Post by *petermad »

2DrShark
Have you tried pressing Alt+ + in the F7 and F4 dialogs - it opens the the dialog menu - it is not a ± character on the button, but an underlined +
See http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/plus_minus.png - it shows the difference between ± and +
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: New dirs and files creation: keyboard access of Choose plugin property dialog

Post by *DrShark »

petermad wrote: 2019-03-24, 14:49 UTC 2DrShark
in the F7 and F4 dialogs ... it is not a ± character on the button, but an underlined +
I see now, thanks. My keyboard doesn't have a NumPad, so in this case Alt+Shift++ works.

Also, I see now that TC Help have a note on this:
Total Commander Help wrote:New: If the name name starts with the character '<', the same placeholders as in the multi-rename tool can be used. You can pick some of them via the [+] button near the edit box.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

It seems the problem with this suggestion is that I didn't make it clear from where TC should take a plugin value when we're creating a NEW file or folder which doesn't even exist yet. Well, it could take it from existing file under cursor from current or opposite panel (like From target/From source of Change Attributes). Of course it's possible to set some random name to new file or directory, then give it a name of plugin value of file under cursor with Change attrubutes itself, but this is an additional step which by implementing the suggestion it will be possible to avoid.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

DrShark wrote: 2019-03-25, 17:21 UTC
petermad wrote: 2019-03-24, 14:49 UTC 2DrShark
in the F7 and F4 dialogs ... it is not a ± character on the button, but an underlined +
I see now, thanks. My keyboard doesn't have a NumPad, so in this case Alt+Shift++ works.
Strange, in all 3 cases (F7, F4, MRT) I have to press Alt+NumPlus+NumPlus (hold Left Alt and press NumPlus twice). I suspect that Alt+NumPlus in this place is still active for "Select All with same extension".
So it's really better to use Alt+Shift+# (only in MRT) and Alt+Shift+Plus.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator