Remember last typed text on scroll in comboboxes

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Remember last typed text on scroll in comboboxes

Post by *MVV »

The problem: when user types something into a combobox and (accidentally) presses Up/Down or scrolls mouse wheel, typed text is completely lost.

This bothers me and other users, and there were even some changes to get rid of it, but only partially - e.g. in MRT Up/Down don't scroll combobox now, only with Ctrl key, and mouse scrolling is disabled. But it is not comfortable, it is not as in other programs, and there are a lot of other comboboxes in TC (e.g. I made this post when lost typed text due to scrolling in Find files dialog)...

I have a simple solution that may be applied to all comboboxes: if there are changes in text since last scrolling, current text should be added to the top of combobox item list (if combobox doesn't contain such string yet), this will allow to return to last typed text if scrolling was unintentional, and won't break anything in other cases. This temporary line shouldn't be saved to history after closing dialog so combobox should remember if it has such line.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Remember last typed text on scroll in comboboxes

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is standard Windows behaviour. I have only disabled it in the multi-rename tool (name field). But I didn't see this as a big problem in any other dialog boxes...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I face it very often, e.g. when I move cursor with Left/Right arrows and accidentally press Up or Down, or, like today, I've accidentally touched mouse wheel while typing text for searching in files.

I know that it is a standard behaviour, but it is quite poor one. And this small fix should improve TC usability at almost no cost. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I don't see any problems with this idea. Support++.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I support this idea as well.

But, one thing to keep in mind, and I know I'm being pessimistic again: There will be persons wondering why certain items (the first ones) of the combobox are not saved to the history... probably reporting this as a bug. So, it's a good idea to make the user know about this behavior when implementing it.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror