Synchronise dirs based on file properties

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

favgeris

Synchronise dirs based on file properties

Post by *favgeris »

The archive property can be useful to filter synchronisation.
If the files to be synchronised can be limited to those with the archive property set, the user will be able to customise the synchronisation.

For example, I have two folders that I want them synchronised, but I don't want to synchronise certain files.
Every time I synchronise these two folders, these "unwanted files" are shown in the list of different files. For my purposes, these are false-positives. So, I could unset the archive property and with the requested filter exclude those files.
Then, if any one of these files is changed, the archive property is normally set and that file will be shown in the synchronisation. Most editors automatically set the archive property once a file is changed, but even if this is not the case, it is the user's responsibility.

Taking this a step further, the synchronisation window would be great if it could (a) show at least the status of the archive property, and (b) allow its manipulation.

Taking this yet another step further, read-only, hidden and system properties can be useful filters for other similar purposes. For example, the hidden property is useful as I want to exclude from synchronisation files such as "desktop.ini" in windows, temporary lock files that don't want to synchronise, etc.

I think there are many use cases and this suggestion is a useful feature. Haven't seen it anywhere else and since TC is my preferred tool for browsing filesystems and synchronising, I though to propose it. Thank you!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Synchronise dirs based on file properties

Post by *petermad »

Support++

Another way to implement it, could be to allow saved search filters to be used in the file type field (the middle field in top of the "Synchronize directories" dialog).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Synchronise dirs based on file properties

Post by *Horst.Epp »

petermad wrote: 2019-05-10, 22:23 UTC Support++

Another way to implement it, could be to allow saved search filters to be used in the file type field (the middle field in top of the "Synchronize directories" dialog).
Support++
Good idea for implementation.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64