Font selection for the main window and the command line

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zenx

Font selection for the main window and the command line

Post by *zenx »

I have recently bought TC and am delighted with it. In a highly complex project it has saved me hours of work.
A small suggestion, I would like to be able to choose a different font for the main window and the command line.
[For the main window I want a font that does only capitals (full caps and small caps) and so stands out, which does not have to be read accurately, and which I have.
For the command line I want to use ordinary upper/lower case (mainly lower) which are easier to read quickly and accurately.]
Is this possible in a future version?
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Font selection for the main window and the command line

Post by *ts4242 »

zenx wrote: 2019-05-30, 11:06 UTCIs this possible in a future version?
No need for a future version, open Configuration dialog> Font page then select different font for File list font and Main window font, just note that Main window font will not apply to Command line only but all other elements e.g. Function key, Current directory, Folder tabs, etc...
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ts4242
There is no setting for SMALL CAPS there…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Usher wrote: 2019-05-30, 22:21 UTC 2ts4242
There is no setting for SMALL CAPS there…
I think zenx accomplishes that by using a font that is in small caps...
Last edited by petermad on 2019-06-06, 00:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

There is no wide choice of fonts with true small caps. In most cases document editors use scaled caps (smaller font size) – like me above.
TC should use XML/XHTML/HTML with CSS for GUI layout to allow small caps…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
zenx

Post by *zenx »

You have not answered my question.
I already USE a font which has full and small caps, Copperplate Gothic Light.
I want to leave this only for the main page, and be able to use a normal font (such as Arial or Times) for the command line, not have to use the same font for both.
Please read exactly what I wrote.
Can this be done in a future update?
Last edited by zenx on 2019-05-31, 00:20 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

zenx wrote: 2019-05-31, 00:14 UTC You have not answered my question.
You haven't provided enough info in your first message.
zenx wrote: 2019-05-31, 00:14 UTC I already USE a font which has full and small caps, Copperplate Gothic Light.
I want to leave this only for the main page, and be able to use a normal font (such as Arial or Times) for the command line, not have to use the same font for both.
Can this be done in a future update?
It looks like you want to break main window into separate widgets and use different styles for any of them. It may break layout consistency or at least will be distracting. The widgets should be grouped in a few styles only, and three styles max is a good design approach.
If you want to change "main window" style, which style do you want to use for command line - "file list" or "dialog box"? Do you want to propose regrouping for other layout elements? Which ones and why?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
zenx

Post by *zenx »

I do NOT want to break it all up. There are two font styles, one for list and one for main window. Since the command line is neither, there could perhaps be a third so that all in the main window would appear in upper case and the command line would no..
I do not want a long discussion on whys and wherefores, merely a simple answer to my simple question, Can it be changed in a future update? I repeat, a simple answer to my simple question
Since you like to make a simple thing complicated, perhaps you could ask Mr. Ghisler who would answer yes or no.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

zenx wrote: 2019-05-31, 09:58 UTC I do NOT want to break it all up. There are two font styles, one for list and one for main window. Since the command line is neither, there could perhaps be a third so that all in the main window would appear in upper case and the command line would no..
I do not want a long discussion on whys and wherefores, merely a simple answer to my simple question, Can it be changed in a future update? I repeat, a simple answer to my simple question
Since you like to make a simple thing complicated, perhaps you could ask Mr. Ghisler who would answer yes or no.
So just wait for Christians answer.
But it seems you are the only one requesting such feature, so the chances for implementation may be low.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
zenx

Post by *zenx »

Someone has to be the first. Keep your opinion to yourself, I will wait for Mr. Ghisler.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

zenx wrote: 2019-05-31, 15:27 UTC Someone has to be the first. Keep your opinion to yourself, I will wait for Mr. Ghisler.
You are free to tell us your opinion so I'm :)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
zenx

Post by *zenx »

I put a suggestion for possible improvement in a very small matter with a simple question whether this can or cannot be implemented in a future version.
I received no reply, but a lot of irritating, annoying and irrelevant comments from various know-alls who did not even read what I wrote.
Moderator ONLY, please ask Mr. Ghisler to read just my first post on this thread and reply. Thank you.
Please no other comments from anyone.
zenx

Reply to suggestion

Post by *zenx »

I put a suggestion last week for possible improvement in a very small matter with a simple question whether this can or cannot be implemented in a future version.
I received no reply, but a lot of irritating, annoying and irrelevant comments from various know-alls who did not even read what I wrote.
Moderator ONLY, please ask Mr. Ghisler to read just my first post on the thread (‘Font selection’) and reply. Thank you.
Please no other comments from anyone else.
zenx

Please, please, please, reply to suggestion!!!!!!!!!

Post by *zenx »

Please reply to my suggestion
zenx

Re: Please, please, please, reply to suggestion!!!!!!!!!

Post by *zenx »

I put a suggestion last week for possible improvement in a very small matter with a simple question whether this can or cannot be implemented in a future version.
Moderator ONLY, please ask Mr. Ghisler to read just my first post on the thread (‘Font selection’) and reply. Thank you.
Please no other comments from anyone else.