Deleting locked files

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Mawg

Deleting locked files

Post by *Mawg »

I bought Total Commander back when it was still called Windows Commander, and have been extremely happy ever since - it is my only interface with Windows - no desktop, no explore, just TC.

However, I can't use it work, so tried Double Commander. When I tried to delete a file which was open in an editor, it offered me an "unlock" option, which sounds like a great feature for TC.

In fact, you could combine it with LockHunter (https://lockhunter.com/) which tells me which application is locking a file, and let's me choose to unlock it, delete it, or delete it at the next reboot.

Just a suggestion. Keep up the great work !
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deleting locked files

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will consider it, although I find it a bit risky to give that option to the average user. Some programs like Word may lose data when you do this with open documents. Personally I'm using LockHunter via context menu.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I doubt that it's even possible with minimal effort. Both Unlocker and LockHunter use a driver to get the required information about the file, using UnlockerDriver5.sys and USRFindHandle32.sys respectively. Furthermore, Unlocker requires the SeDebugPrivilege privilege which, by default, only administrators have - probably the same with LockHunter.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Dalai wrote: 2019-06-03, 20:07 UTC I doubt that it's even possible with minimal effort. Both Unlocker and LockHunter use a driver to get the required information about the file, using UnlockerDriver5.sys and USRFindHandle32.sys respectively.
Nothing new here. Some existing plugins install their own drivers…
Dalai wrote: 2019-06-03, 20:07 UTCFurthermore, Unlocker requires the SeDebugPrivilege privilege which, by default, only administrators have - probably the same with LockHunter.
And nothing new here as well. Some TC features are available only when running TC as Administrator. It could be another one…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, it would have to be handled via tcmadmin.exe with admin rights.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com