File search - skipping comparison of some folders on the run

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Ankha

File search - skipping comparison of some folders on the run

Post by *Ankha »

Hi,

When searching for a file, I sometimes notice that it's searching a large subfolder that I would like to skip during the search; would it be possible to pause the search, indicate which part of the current subfolder I'd like to skip, and resume?

For instance, I have launched a search in my folder c:\dev\1 and I'm currently in a c:\dev\1\foo\bar\packages\xx\yy\zz folder and I know that it's probably not in the c:\dev\1\foo\bar\packages at all. I would like to pause, indicate to skip anything under c:\dev\1\foo\bar\packages (including that folder), and resume.

(Of course, I don't know in advance which folders I'd like to skip, it's just that if it's taking too long in a given folder, I'd like to skip it).
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: File search - skipping comparison of some folders on the run

Post by *tuska »

Hi,

in Total Commander it is possible to use the external tool 'Everything' [with its own parameters] for a search query.
You will also get search results in real time if you perform a search directly in 'Everthing'.

If you use one of these two options, you will probably not be able to *pause the search*,
because you usually have the search result available immediately and without significant delay [in TC].

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4OGHz, 16 GB RAM
TC 9.51 x64/x86 | 'Everything'-Version 1.4.1.986 (x64) - Public release
☑ 'Everything' | Search queries: TC <=> 'Everything'
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Ankha,
TC Help File wrote:<Status line> The status line (footer) shows the directory currently being searched, and the file details after the search has finished. With a click on a part of the directory it is possible to skip that directory (after confirmation).
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Ankha

Post by *Ankha »

Hacker wrote: 2020-07-26, 07:55 UTC Ankha,
TC Help File wrote:<Status line> The status line (footer) shows the directory currently being searched, and the file details after the search has finished. With a click on a part of the directory it is possible to skip that directory (after confirmation).
HTH
Roman
Brilliant! Thanks!