Define colours

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

masterninja2

Define colours

Post by *masterninja2 »

I can't choose to colour my tabs - it would be great if it would be possible to make my diff tabs in diff colour - the tabs heads that is, where i click do change what tab is in view and only the background and/or text - I think it's sometimes a little difficult to navigate between them due to the fact that they don't stand out in any way. I always have 4,5 or 6 tabs in use in both panes
Brgds Masterninja2
Win11 build 26010, TotalCommander 11.02
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Define colours

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

EDIT: Added a screenshot of the configuration dialog defining a auto switch rule for view modes.

TC has view modes, which among other things allow you to define a color and an icon for a tab. Different view modes can be switched/activated by rules you define.

Look into TC's configuration dialog, section "View mode", where you can define view modes.
Then look into the section "Auto Switch Mode" (which is a subsection of "View mode"), where you can define the rules that determine under which conditions which view mode is going to be activated. (And then there is also the Help button waiting to be clicked in case you need to know more how exactly to define rules or such...)

If you for example want to assign specific tab colors to specific directories the tabs represent, you can define a view mode with that color and then define a rule that activates that view mode if you navigate into said directory. For example, perhaps something like that: https://imgur.com/a/zJJUmh2

(EDIT: Ignore this part in parantheses. It seems i was mistaken; see some posts below. Note, that you will probably also have to add an empty rule as the last rule to switch back to the "<default>" view mode, otherwise the currently active view mode -and the tab color- will stay even if you navigate out of the directory the view mode has been actived for by the respective rule.)
Last edited by gdpr deleted 6 on 2020-10-03, 13:32 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
masterninja2

Post by *masterninja2 »

Thanks that's kind of what I meant - and thanks for the quick reply - it's very useful
Brgds Masterninja2
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-10-03, 10:22 UTC (Note, that you will probably also have to add an empty rule as the last rule to switch back to the "<default>" view mode, ...)
In my opinion, this is not necessary because an "Auto Switch Mode" - after exiting the directory (in this case) - should end automatically.

As a rule, however, it should be defined what should happen when an "Auto Switch Mode" is ended.
This can be done by setting a "View mode" - "<Default>", e.g.
Columns view: Full
Sort order     : Name

(So far, I am only aware of a few cases in which forum users - for special purposes - have left "View mode" - "<Default>" at "Unchanged".

See also:
Overview: View Mode | Auto Switch Mode | Custom columns view
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

tuska wrote: 2020-10-03, 12:50 UTC In my opinion, this is not necessary because an "Auto Switch Mode" - after exiting the directory (in this case) - should end automatically.
True. I just tested again (recreating the view modes i used before for making the screenshot). While then the view mode didn't seem to deactivate when i left the test folder without defining that empty rule, it does now. Who knows what i did then, but it seems you are right.
masterninja2

Post by *masterninja2 »

It's a great way stay organised with tabs, I have made defined a view mode for each drive i have, so each drive have it's own colour, but then I also made automatic switch rules so every time I change drive or open a tab - the colour is applied accordingly - I use the windows dark mode, so it's really great to have assigned diff colours to diff the diff drives, so when they are open in the tabs you can se that the K drive always show up with the tab-head in blue and no matter whether you change drive or open a new tab.
all though my original thought was that there should in the colour definition scheme section a possibility to assign a colour to al tab-heads as a default colour for the tab heads, you can then if you want to have diff colours or other fancy stuff make the view rules and so on.

Sorry if my English is not perfect
Brgds Masterninja2