More frequently updated progress bars? Comparison with old version

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

relu84

More frequently updated progress bars? Comparison with old version

Post by *relu84 »

It has troubled me for a long while in Total Commander that the progress bars during file operations is not updated as frequently in older versions of the software, back when it was still called Windows Commander. I understand this is a very minor thing that most people probably never even noticed, but it bugs me a lot - enough to warrant this post :) I have also noticed this kind of "regression" in several other programs, including WinRar, which also, for some reason, made the progress bars uninteresting to watch ;)

I will show two short videos showing the issue:

Old Windows Commander:
https://streamable.com/wp626t

New Total Commander:
https://streamable.com/gb4xot

As you can see, the old version animated the progress bars frequently, smoothly showing the bar move from 0 to 100% even for smaller files. The new version doesn't even move the bar most of the time for smaller files or updates every few hundred miliseconds, causing the bar to often not show up at all or just move just a bit. It makes me feel as if the file copy process did not complete right ;)

Is it possible for Total Commander to update the progress bars more frequently, like in the old days?
If not, what is the technical reason for a more "lazy" kind of update of the bars file operation window?

All the best :)
Hacker

Re: More frequently updated progress bars? Comparison with old version

Post by *Hacker »

relu84,
AFAIK the reason for that is that updating the progress bar for small files slows the copy progress itself down. The file is already copied, but TC needs to spend ~200 ms for drawing the progress bar for each file. Which is 1 s for 5 files, 1 minute for 300 files. So it was decided that fast copy process is more important than pretty progress bar.

CMIIW
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Does the same happen when you switch to the old progress bar with:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
NewStyleProgress=0
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
relu84

Post by *relu84 »

I can understand it if the progress bars impact copy performance - if it is the case, than I'm fine with it.

NewStyleProgress=0 only changes the bars visually, they behave the same.