Export custom columns or internal packer+content plugin.

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Export custom columns or internal packer+content plugin.

Post by *Gral »

There is something that I have been missing since the introduction of content plugins (yes, for 16 years).
As soon as content plugins were introduced, i thought about such functionality, but i did not write a post on the forum because I was sure that someone would do it.
Although TC can write the contents of user columns, we still have to use other programs for reading.
And although this function is very useful, the whole thing should be, in my opinion, implemented in a different way.
There should be an internal, i.e. always installed, packer plugin with content field support.
That way we could just pack the current contents of a user column (maybe even with subdirectories) and then read its contents directly in the files panels.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Export custom columns or internal packer+content plugin.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you know about the commands cm_SaveDetailsToFile and cm_CopyFileDetailsToClip?
They allow to export the currently displayed custom columns of all selected files/folders to file or clipboard.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Of course! :shock:
I thought it was absolutely clear.
As i wrote "TC can write" but not READ content of such files and display back in file panels.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why should it do that? The columns may be out of date by then.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Think about that as a extended funcionality of Diskdir packer plugin with custom columns inside archive.
Diskdir can write and read file names, sizes and datetimes.
Imagine similar plugin capable write and read any value from custom columns - with such a plugin you could retrieve files properties from disconnect drives or CDs, not only names, sizes and datetimes, but ANY property. E.g. you have file "video.mp4" on CD and CD.lst created by diskdir plugin. Now you e.g. check basic properties (names, sizes and datetimes) With such a plugin you can check how long is this file, wchich codec it uses for audio and video and many, many more (if you save these infos in archive file).

And most important! You can see all these thing in TC panel, NOT in notepad or excel as a text.
These needs of course content plugin feature inside archive and appropiate format for files - natural choice is tab separated text, same as diskdir files and "cm_SaveDetailsToFile" and "cm_CopyFileDetailsToClip" output.

P.S. For example exist WdxInfoPacker, but still - can only write custom columns but not read and display in panels.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Gral wrote: 2021-05-20, 18:48 UTC Think about that as a extended funcionality of Diskdir packer plugin with custom columns inside archive.
Diskdir can write and read file names, sizes and datetimes.
Currently DiskDirW plugin is maintained. It's Unicode version of old diskdir:
http://totalcmd.net/plugring/diskdirw.html
I would add some more features to this plugin, f.e. storing all file attribs (including encrypted and compressed), proper storing of flat view (Ctrl+B) list, proper storing of Search (Alt+f7) results for more than one drive…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator