Compare by content without resync

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

farscape

Compare by content without resync

Post by *farscape »

Hi,

I would like to be able to compare text file contents without applying any block matching/synchronization.
I often need to compare dumps of values in text format, line by line, where some values at the same position may be different between the 2 files.
Currently TC tries to match blocks, which messes up the alignment later, whereas I just need to compare the same line numbers in each file.
If there are few mismatches I can do resync manually, line by line, but it's not practical when there are a lot of them, or I need to redo the comparison.

Is it possible to add a checkbox for this in the Comapre Contents window?

Thanks!
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Compare by content without resync

Post by *umbra »

+1

It would be nice if TC remembered the manual matches made by "Resync comparison from here". At least while the "Compare contents" window is open.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
farscape

Re: Compare by content without resync

Post by *farscape »

Hi! I'm coming back to this request, as I notice that you have added several sync methods for file compare content since then, but none of those is working for me.
I would like to have a mode where each line in a text file is compared with the same line number in the other file, without any resynchronization in case of a difference.
As a SW developer, this would be very useful in comparing various traces/dumps with identical structure, for instance audio signals dumped in text, one sample value per line. Disabling resynchronization would allow to identify exactly which samples are different and how many differences there are.
As it stands now, when encountering more than 1 consecutive different lines, the resync is always trying to match blocks in the files and most of the time it desynchronizes the line numbers and ends up seeing more differences than there actually are. It's great for source code comparison, but not for traces/dumps.

Thanks!