Bug using directory branch (Ctrl+B), part deux

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bdk

Bug using directory branch (Ctrl+B), part deux

Post by *bdk »

Hi

I have encountered another bug using directory branch. To reproduce:
Create a folder "test". In this folder, create two subfolders "test1" and "test2". In folder "test1", create a subfolder "test1" and in "test2", create a subfolder "test2". In each of these subfolders, create a text file "text.txt", so we now have a directory structure three folders deep: "test->test1->test1 and test->test2->test2", with two simple text files at the lowest level.
Navigate back to the folder "test". Press Ctrl+B to open the directory branch. The two files test.txt and test.txt are listed. Then try to edit these files using en external editor (F4), while keeping the directory branch open in TC. What happens is that when I edit one of the test.txt files and save it, I somethimes get three test.txt files in the directory branch. One sure way of making this happen is to open one of the files using F4 (which in my case opens the file in Ultraedit), then write some text and convert the file from DOS to UNIX format, and then save. Then I suddenly have three "test.txt" in the directory branch view. I have gotten an extra copy of the file I just edited. And TC is totally comfused. If I mark all three files and try to delete them, TC says that one of teh files does not exist. If I try to open the "extra" file, the file below (the other test.txt) is opened, and so on. I think it is the conversion between formats that confuses TC, but I am not sure.

Hopefully someone else is able to reproduce this error, so that it can be fixed.
PuzoM

Post by *PuzoM »

Confirmed.

Code: Select all

Please note in order to see this happen the option "Configuration - Refresh- Refresh when files are created, deleted and renamed" should be enabled ;)

Edit:
Also happens when you have single structure like "D:\test1\test2\88\". ("Branch for D:\test1\test2\" works OK)

I use Emeditor which makes a Backup-test.txt file after edit and saving a file. (optional ;))

So I start with test.txt --> Edit the file, save it --> get test.txt + test.txt + Backup-test.txt. Still in Branch mode I edit the file again and save it --> I get test.txt + test.txt + test.txt + Backup-test.txt + Backup-test.txt.

Tcmd only adds files to the branch, but does no real refresh.
Last edited by PuzoM on 2006-12-05, 10:29 UTC, edited 5 times in total.
bdk

Post by *bdk »

I can comfirm that I also have this option set. Sorry for leaving that bit of information out, but with all the settings it is hard to remember which ones are likely to be relevant, though this one is one of the more clearer ones :-)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately this problem cannot be avoided: Sometimes Windows reports the files with different case (e.g. upper- instead of lowercase).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed now too - please check!
bdk

Which version is the latest and greastest?

Post by *bdk »

Hi

Which version contains the fix?

Regards
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please make all tests with the latest, currently TC7 beta 4.
bdk

Post by *bdk »

Hi

The latest release on www.ghisler.com is beta 3 from January 12th. Or am I missing something?

Regards,
bdk
Stitscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stitscher »

bdk

Post by *bdk »

Fix confirmed.

Thanks.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin