Possible bug : Function not implemented

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

OK, I have removed numeric commands from the command line now. They will still work in the start menu and button bar.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:OK, I have removed numeric commands from the command line now. They will still work in the start menu and button bar.
Ok. Personally i didn't use them so i don't care very much but with all the discussion in this thread, i believed you would enhance this feature rather than remove it. :shock: Anyway, whatever you feel is best.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
szlori

Post by *szlori »

Yes, it's a bit disappointing...
I started to like this feature.

I think it could be kept with a minimal change to make it just a bit more robust.
Anybody else?
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

2GHISLER

IMPROVE not delete!
You must avert an accident, not more. Any improvement is good.
If you remove numeric commands, you must inhibit (remove) even names of internal commands from command line. No? Why? It's the same.
It's a back step, I think.

Maybe a parameter in this case is better.

COM, EXE, CMD, BAT are OS options in this order and the default path is also important (for sample: current directory).

If neither is found that's all: 'File not found' is the best message. This is the default action.

If I want to use voluntary a number like a internal command, even the file with the same name exist, I must specify that with a parameter like '/i or '/internal'.

That eliminate uncalled command. Is unnecessary another dialog box. Also, I must know correspondence between numbers and internal command and the actions of those commands before I want to use it. Only if I know the feature and the internal commands correspondence anyone must be affected. You can explain this in Help file.

I appreciate Total Commander EXACTLY for default answer of most actions, logical answer, not like this:
- 'Are you sure?'
- 'Are you very sure?'
- 'Really are you sure?'
...and so on. :D

Conclusion: I want this feature, is very useful, but I want to be simple and intuitive.
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

eugensyl,
If you remove numeric commands, you must inhibit (remove) even names of internal commands from command line. No? Why? It's the same.
I actually do have a 72.bat in my %PATH%, but no cm_LeftCustomView2.

I personally doubt somebody remembers more than 10 numeric values for internal commands. And for these ten commands, if he really uses them this often, he can create (numeric) aliases.

My two Eurocents.
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

I would like to express my support for Hacker's point of view.

Personally, I will more easily remember a command name than the corresponding number. So I am more likely to enter a cm_<string> command in the commandline than its number.

Yet, I would like to remind anybody participating in this thread that more things may be entered in the TC commandline than just number, cm_commands and external programme names, mainly aliases.

So it will be necessary to define/agree upon a hierarchy of
+ aliases
+ (maybe cm_command numbers)
+ cm_commands
+ external executables names (if the filename extension is omitted)
if their names should be the same in order to resolve ambiguties.

Cf. this thread please to read about how such ambiguities are resolved inside JpSoft 4NT e.g.: Digits in command line

Karl