[SOLVED] Media player with LAV filters does not show context menu when playing H.265 4K HDR video

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

[SOLVED] Media player with LAV filters does not show context menu when playing H.265 4K HDR video

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Media player with LAV filters fails to show context menu (that would show the LAV video splitter, decoders and renderers used for playback) when playing a 4K HDR H.265 video. The playback itself is fine, but unlike 1080p videos with H.264 or AV1 codecs (thus are the other videos i tested), the context menu is not appearing when right-clicking on the media player.

The systray icons for the LAV filters appearing when playing back the video in lister (and disappearing again when lister is being closed) clearly indicates the LAV filters being used by the lister media player.

Tested with a MP4 container with 4K HDR H.265 video.
TC 10.00b1a x64 and x86 on Windows 7 Pro x64.

P.S.: If needed, i can make a filter graph dump on the weekend.
Last edited by gdpr deleted 6 on 2021-03-19, 13:21 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Media player with LAV filters does not show context menu when playing H.265 4K HDR video

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. What does GraphEdit or GraphEditNext show in the LAV source filter when you load the file and right click on it?
In the right click menu, there is a submenu "Stream selection". A h265 video shows up as:
V: hevc main L3.1, yuv420p, 1280x720, 414 kb/s

For this file, I also get a right click menu in Total Commander.

2. Could you use some mp4 file splitter to create a small 1MB or less sample which I could try? If yes, please send ot to cghisler at gmail dot com.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [SOLVED] Media player with LAV filters does not show context menu when playing H.265 4K HDR video

My apologies. Like my other report about the media player, this was the same PEBCAK!

It turned out the issue was with outdated LAV filters 0.70.xx installed on this machine here. Updating to the current LAV filter package (as of writing 0.74.1) solved the problem. Not sure what the underlying technical reason for being able to play the video smoothly while failing to show the context menu, but updating the LAV filter package solved this problem.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [SOLVED] Media player with LAV filters does not show context menu when playing H.265 4K HDR video

Well, beats me. I was today cleaning up the installation of the laptop i observed the issue and its disappearance after updating the LAV filters, and installed both the 32-bit and 64-bit LAV filters (you know, for the time one really wants to run TC x86 lister media player). So far so good.

Later, on my main PC i experienced the same problem again -- no context menu when playing H.265 video. Checking on the laptop again, and the problem is there back again. In an attempt to recreate the environment i had on the laptop before with only the 64-bit filters present, i unregistered the LAV filters again, and re-registered only the 64-bit version i was using on Friday, but the problem now still remains -- no context menu for H.265 videos. No idea so far what is going on (i wouldn't categorally rule out that i was checking with the wrong video, either), but it's back to square one as it seems. For now, i remove the [SOLVED] tag again until i figure out what's going on...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Media player with LAV filters does not show context menu when playing H.265 4K HDR video

I have tried with LAV filters 0.70, but I do get a context menu with them.
It could be caused by a virus scanner or high CPU load. Could you try pausing the video first?
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Pausing the video and let it sit paused for a couple minutes before trying to open the context menu didn't help.

I also played around in the LAV settings for GPU-assisted decoding. I usually have it enabled (DXVA2 copy-back) for all resolutions and video codecs (incl. HVEC), but i tried the different GPU-assisted decoding options available on my machine (DXVA2 copy-back, Nvidia CUVID) as well as CPU-only, but it did not help. Thus, i believe the issue to be unrelated to high CPU load (when GPU-based decoding, my CPU is only loaded to about 8% -- still no context menu.)

Virus scanner is MS Security Essentials. But i kinda doubt that a virus scanner lets a video play through DirectShow filters while preventing the context menu.

I am going to make small 1 MB sample video and send it to you via mail (and i will make sure this time that i send it to cghisler :-) ) so we have identical video file to test on...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I will check it.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Email is out (fingers crossed i didn't screw up again...)

Also, here a screenshot of the LAV video decoder settings i currently use for playing back videos in TC's media player: https://imgur.com/a/KGlwmHf
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

As posted in a related topic (viewtopic.php?p=398061#p398061) and which i was able to confirm, the occurence of the issue is dependent on the presence of subtitles in the H.265 video file.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Context menu works in TC 10.00b2 (both x86 and x64). Awesome, thanks!