[10.00b2] Compare by content: END key in 2 lines area

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[10.00b2] Compare by content: END key in 2 lines area

Post by *Flint »

As far as I understand, pressing END in the 2 lines comparison ares moves the position to the very end of the longest available line in both of the files. However, from the user's point of view that does not make sense, End should jump to the end of the two lines that are displayed in this area. While horizontal scrolling in the main Compare panels have to be limited by the longest line available, the 2 lines area does not have this restriction and can be adjusted on-the-fly to the contents it's displaying right now.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [10.00b2] Compare by content: END key in 2 lines area

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You are right, the maximum position is calculated with the idea to add a scollbar which would remain even for shorter lines. But since I abandoned this idea, it should be calculated just for the two displayed lines instead.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Even with the scrollbar it does not require to be always the full length. As soon as a new pair of lines appear in the area, the max scrolling length can be adjusted to their length (with disabling the scrollbar if it's all on one screen).

I still think that scrollbar can be useful in some scenarios. For example, with the current implementation you cannot easily jump at around the middle of a very long line. You have to either press and hold PageDown, or scroll the mouse wheel furiously. Without even seeing how much longer you have to go. Maybe add it optionally, so the users who think it's useful could turn it on, while the rest have it off?
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

I think that adding an independent scrollbar to lower area would be the best solution. Some compared lines may be really long, for example, if you compare two HTML paragraphs, which are coded as long single lines, and have small differences deeply inside.

If an idea of adding such scrollbar is counted not the best by some design decisions (not easy to imagine, but anyway), there would be an alternative way to "stop" at the different places while scrolling this area entirely by keys. For example:

Code: Select all

Home - move to begin of compared lines
End - move to the end of shortest line (last symbol should be visible)
Ctrl+Right arrow - move to next difference
Ctrl+Left arrow - move to previous difference
(currently End works slightly differently showing empty area after the last symbol, while Ctrl+arrows work exactly as arrows, scrolling by 1 symbol)
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Help describes hotkeys for file panels:
Help wrote: Only in read only mode:
Left/Right arrow Scroll by 1 character
Alt+Left/Right arrow Scroll by 30 characters
Left/Right arrows work now in 2 line comparison area, Alt+Left/Right are missing.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

I'm for optional scrollbar too, visual feedback it would give about length of line would be useful. I'd add CompareTwoLineList=2 for it, and clicking the icon could cycle between all three 0/1/2. And while the extra state could be annoying for someone who would frequently turn the two lines on and off, I doubt that anyone is going to do that.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

An idea whould be just a single line (2 on 4k screens) below the text to indicate the position, but not usable for scrolling.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Not being able to scroll with the scrollbar significatly limits the ability to interact with the tool. For long lines it's a very important mechanism of navigating.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't want to waste so much space. I will move this thread to "will not be changed".
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Why not make it an option? Allow users to decide for themselves what is more important to them: ability to scroll easily, or saving 10 pixels. Then people with 14" laptop will be able to not waste space, and users who have a 32" monitor will be glad to keep the scrollbar on.

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Flint wrote: 2021-03-21, 17:28 UTC Why not make it an option? Allow users to decide for themselves what is more important to them: ability to scroll easily, or saving 10 pixels. Then people with 14" laptop will be able to not waste space, and users who have a 32" monitor will be glad to keep the scrollbar on.
I agree and second that suggestion.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

I third the suggestion of having an option to disable/enable scrollbars.

I also second the suggestion made by Flint to make the END key jump to the end of the shorter of the two lines currently displayed, and a second press of END jumping to the end of the longer line (or perhaps some alternative using some modifier key with END). As it is currently, the END key is unfortunately not that useful for text files with a mix of short and long lines.
Last edited by gdpr deleted 6 on 2021-03-21, 19:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

elgonzo wrote: 2021-03-21, 18:26 UTC I third the suggestion of having an option to disable/enable scrollbars.
Completely agree.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Confirm that in b3 the maximum scrolling range of the 2-lines area is now limited to the longest of the 2 displayed lines, and END jumps to the end of it.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also added the option to scroll the 2 line list with Ctrl+mouse wheel while keeping the mouse over one of the other compare window. Please test it!