Lister: default Explorer Preview mode blocks the Image/Multimedia mode

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

Lister: default Explorer Preview mode blocks the Image/Multimedia mode

Post by *Slavic »

If we set the Explorer Preview mode as default: Configure internal viewer, Multimedia, Define view method by file type, *.* -> 8, Lister always uses Explorer Preview when possible, blocking attempts to switch to built-in Image/Multimedia (4) in Options. Selecting a non-multimedia mode works correctly. As a result, all images are shown scaled to Lister window and it's not possible to use built-in multimedia player even for the files which Lister supports internally. Clearing the checkbox "Define view..." returns Lister to default mode, when switching from mode 4 to 8 and back works as expected.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lister: default Explorer Preview mode blocks the Image/Multimedia mode

Post by *petermad »

2Slavic
I can confirm that when using 8 in "Define view method by file type" it is not possible to change to plugin mode once the file is shown. That also applies to settings like:
8,4i
8,imagine.wlx
imagine.wlx,8

once the Explorer Preview has been used, it is not possible to change to plugin view.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will check it, thanks.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Which file types are affected? I tried with csv files, filter set to
F3 opened with Explorer preview, 4 then switched to cudalister.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I tried with .jpg files.
Results:
8,4 = File opens in Explorer Preview, it is not posible to switch to automatic view by pressing 4 or via the menu. If I switch to view 1,2,3,5,6 or 7 and thereafter to 4, then my first plugin (imagine) is used, but a new press on 4 switches to view 8 not to the next plugin (PhotoViewer).

8,4i = File opens in Explorer Preview, it is not posible to switch to internal view by pressing 4 or via the menu. If I switch to view 1,2,3,5,6 or 7 and thereafter press 4, then my first plugin (imagine) is used. Here more presses on 4 shifts to the next plugin, until all plugins has been used after which the internal viewer is used and finally it goes to view 8 and is stuck there.

8,imagine.wlx = File opens in Explorer Preview. Pressing 4 switches to the internal viewer (not Imagine as expected). More presses on 4 does nothing. If I switch to view 1,2,3,5,6 or7 and thereafter press 4, then it switches to the internal viewer. It is not possible to ever use Imagine with this setting!

imagine.wlx,8 = File opens in Imagine. Pressing 4 swithes to view 8. More presses on 4 does nothing. If I switch to view 1,2,3,5,6 or 7 and thereafter press 4, then it switches to view 8 - it is not possible to switch to view 4.

I can test other combinations if wanted.

Code: Select all

[ListerPlugins]
1=%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\wlx\Imagine\Imagine.wlx
1_detect="MULTIMEDIA & EXT!="TXT" & EXT!="INI" & EXT!="HTM" & EXT!="LNG" & EXT!="MNU" & EXT!="INC" & EXT!="BAR" & EXT!="ION" & EXT!="DIZ" & EXT!="XCF""
2=%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\wlx\PhotoViewer\PhotoViewer.wlx
2_detect="MULTIMEDIA & ext="BMP"|ext="JPG"|ext="JPE"|ext="JPEG"|ext="JP2"|ext="J2K"|ext="PNG"|ext="GIF"|ext="TIF"|ext="TIFF"|ext="PSD"|ext="TGA"|ext="PCX"|ext="PCD"|ext="WMP"|ext="WMF"|ext="EMF"|ext="AAI"|ext="JXR"|ext="WDP"|ext="DICOM"|ext="DCM"|ext="WEBP"|ext="PBM"|ext="PPM"|ext="DNG"|ext="RAW"|ext="CRW"|ext="CR2"|ext="NEF"|ext="ORF"|ext="ARW"|ext="DCR"|ext="MRW"|ext="NRW"|ext="PEF"|ext="RAF"|ext="SRF"|ext="X3F"|ext="MEF"|ext="SRW"|ext="3FR"|ext="HEIC""
The same results if I use:

Code: Select all

[ListerPlugins]
1=%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\wlx\Imagine\Imagine.wlx
1_detect="MULTIMEDIA"
2=%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\wlx\PhotoViewer\PhotoViewer.wlx
2_detect="MULTIMEDIA"
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

petermad, thanks for details of testing with different plugins and complex rules! As for me, I see this problem without any plugin, with only one rule *.* -> 8 in the definition list. It happens with all media files which I have tested, the images: *.bmp, *.gif, *.jpg, *.png, sounds: *.mp3, *.wav, video: *.avi, *.wmv, *.mpeg, also video *.mp4 (not playable by Lister alone).
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem here is that there is no Explorer view for jpg, so TC uses thumbnails view internally: It loads an image from the thumbnail provider and then switches internally to mode 4 to display it, while keeping "8" checked. I can fix that.

However, there are a few other things I would like to change:
1. When only a single value is given, I will use that only for the initial loading. For example, if the user has entered '1', then pressing '4' could never use any plugins or viewers if it switched to text mode. So I will use text mode only on initial load, and switch to multimedia view when user presses '4'.
2. Special case to the above: If the user entered 4i, then pressing '4' will switch to internal view, and subsequent presses will switch through the plugins.
3. 8,4: Here I will switch initially to Explorer view, and subsequent presses will go through all plugins, until the file is displayed with internal view. The next press will then switch again to Explorer view. The downside is that when there is no internal view for that type, the view will get trapped in plugin view.
4. 8,4i: Pressing 4 repeatedly will switch between Explorer view and internal media view
5. 8,imagine.wlx: Pressing 4 repeatedly will switch between Explorer view and the specified plugin
6. imagine.wlx,8: Pressing 4 repeatedly will switch between the specified plugin and Explorer view
7. 8,imagine.wlx,4: This is a bit of a problem: Lister will first switch Explorer view, then to imagine, then switch through plugins, starting from imagine. Once it reaches the internal viewer, it will return to imagine. This means that plugins which are in the list before imagine can't be reached. The alternative would be to get trapped in '4' and continue to go through plugins.

What do you think?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

1. When only a single value is given, I will use that only for the initial loading. For example, if the user has entered '1', then pressing '4' could never use any plugins or viewers if it switched to text mode. So I will use text mode only on initial load, and switch to multimedia view when user presses '4'.
2. Special case to the above: If the user entered 4i, then pressing '4' will switch to internal view, and subsequent presses will switch through the plugins.
3. 8,4: Here I will switch initially to Explorer view, and subsequent presses will go through all plugins, until the file is displayed with internal view. The next press will then switch again to Explorer view. The downside is that when there is no internal view for that type, the view will get trapped in plugin view.
4. 8,4i: Pressing 4 repeatedly will switch between Explorer view and internal media view
5. 8,imagine.wlx: Pressing 4 repeatedly will switch between Explorer view and the specified plugin
6. imagine.wlx,8: Pressing 4 repeatedly will switch between the specified plugin and Explorer view
This is how I would expect it.

7. 8,imagine.wlx,4: This is a bit of a problem: Lister will first switch Explorer view, then to imagine, then switch through plugins, starting from imagine. Once it reaches the internal viewer, it will return to imagine. This means that plugins which are in the list before imagine can't be reached. The alternative would be to get trapped in '4' and continue to go through plugins.
In this case I think the "trapped" alternative is the best. If the user want Explorer View again, he can just press 8. And after that further presses on 4 should start all over with Imagine and thereafter "trapped" 4.
License #524 (1994)
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

From my side, also I see it quite logical. As for possible downsides, need to test in practice. Users switch the view modes to get the most suitable look for any particular file, not for sake of switching in cycle, so "trapped" situation may almost never happen because user can directly press 8. The possible problems during first 1-2 switches may be unnoticeable (or annoying if logics is wrong).

Could we have some time, say, since next beta for testing these logics before release?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:20.04.21 Fixed: Lister, "Define view mode by file type": Problems with method 8 (Explorer view) when the file didn't have a preview handler, e.g. 8,4 for jpg couldn't switch to mode 4 (32/64)
20.04.21 Fixed: Lister, "Define view mode by file type": When a single value was set (e.g. 1 or 8 ), ignore it when the user presses '4', except for value 4i (32/64)
Confirmed fixed in TC 10 b7 as described above.

Scenario 7 works like this for me:
8,imagine.wlx,4: Lister will first switch Explorer view, then to imagine, then switch through plugins, starting from imagine. Once it reaches the internal viewer continue to first plugin and continue to go through plugins. Only issue: If I then press 1,2,3,5,6 or 7 and thereafter 4, then Lister will use Explorer view (8) - here I would expect first plugin to be used - but it is not really important.

I consider the issue solved in TC 10 b7 :-)
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once it reaches the internal viewer continue to first plugin and continue to go through plugins.
Yes, it will unfortunately never return to Explorer view because once it reaches imagine again, it will see this in the list and then go to mode 4.
If I then press 1,2,3,5,6 or 7 and thereafter 4, then Lister will use Explorer view (8)
This is intentional: When you press '4', Lister will check whether it is in any of the 3 listed views (8, imagine.wlx, 4), and if not, it will pick the first on that list.