No method to directly rename folder selected in tree

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

No method to directly rename folder selected in tree

Post by *JohnFredC »

In B1 you cannot select a folder in a tree and rename it. There is no main menu item for rename and the rename item is not visible in the tree context menu.

In-place renaming of a folder selected in the tree doesn't work either, nor does cm_RenameOnly in a button or in a menu.

Work around: Select Properties in the tree Context menu and rename there.

Why are the trees so crippled? Is it just because it's B1?
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

n B1 you cannot select a folder in a tree and rename it
Yes I can, just not in a separate tree.

HINT: write separate tree, if that is what you mean. There are at least four kind of tree views in TC.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You CAN rename if you assign F2 to cm_RenameOnly or cm_RenameSingleFile! But, the rename is then redirected to the file panel title box, so the separate tree loses focus. It's not inline renaming which is bad.

All very confusing and the more I think it over the less I understand the concept unfortunately.

Icfu
This account is for sale
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

But, the rename is then redirected to the file panel title box
Well, I hadn't even noticed that! Doesn't matter though, because changes made to the folder name in the panel title box are not saved to the folder on pressing Enter.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2PeterMad

The TC implementation of Trees as it stands in B1 is so counter-intuitive and confusing to me I am having trouble knowing how to respond to it.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

True, never pressed Enter there and am totally confused after all that testing anyway...

And, while playing with F2 in the tree for some time, I saw strange renaming boxes popping up in the panels where they didn't belong. Cannot reproduce them unfurtunately. It's time for a break I think, I am getting mad with these trees.

Icfu
This account is for sale
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

It's as if the development team never saw a dual pane / folder tree / file commander implementation before and are starting from scratch without reference to the current state of art.

I'm hoping that isn't true and that this B1 is really still an Alpha and that final design decisions haven't been made.

But right now it's just an embarassing situation. If TC B1 gets wide distribution to the general public, TC's reputation could be damaged, IMHO.

Also hoping not to offend anyone with those remarks. I mean well.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, It's currently not planned to add renaming to the separate tree.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Sorry to hear that, Christian.

Perhaps you should simply remove the folders trees. This is painful to me, since I requested them so strongly and frequently.

In their current form, they just don't add sufficent value to TC to counteract the bad press they will get.

IMHO, naturally.
Last edited by JohnFredC on 2006-11-06, 21:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I also suggest removing autocomplete, as I don't like that I have to type .\ if I need to trigger it when adding a file in the current dir as a parameter for a program I want to run. The new icons should be removed as well, as they aren't quite as I imagined them. The log file cannot be rotated every seven days, so what is its purpose?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

:mrgreen:

The separate tree can at least be used as a navigation help and drop target and if all annoying error messages like "function not supported" are completely removed, it's not exactly completely useless. I would call it "worth to be improved in the future" when having a good day...

Icfu
This account is for sale
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2Hacker

I can always turn the folder trees off (and I will) and continue to use TC and the many other wonderful new additions in TC7.

But my expectation is that the internet community is going to have a field day making fun of the folder tree implementation. That's not good for TC.

Again, IMHO.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

JohnFredC,
As for myself, in the comments to two reviews of TC7pb1 on a Czech IT site and a Slovak IT site, there was no single negative mention of the separate trees as of yet.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The comments are expected from Explorer users, not IT people. As the trees have been implemented as an incentive to make Explorer users switch, it's not exactly irrelevant. I expect lots of complaints as soon as TC 7 goes final, just like JohnFredC. Explorer users don't use betas, I am pretty sure. ;)

But, we will see what happens...

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Perhaps you should simply remove the folders trees.
No one is forced to use them, and they are indeed not shown in the default configuration.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com