Blinking icons with option "Show overlay icons"

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mecedo

Blinking icons with option "Show overlay icons"

Post by *mecedo »

If option "Show overlay icons e.g for links" is selected then TCMD is horribly blinking during entering to folder with overlayed icons or during deleting files in second window
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I do not have this problem. Can you give me more details, please?
1. Windows version?
2. Which Windows theme?
3. Do you use any colors by file type, e.g. via plugins?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mecedo

Post by *mecedo »

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise x64
I have default Windows theme.
Problem occurs on clean TCMD installation. Without any plugins.
Watch the movie:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lvA0njsv3osPNCaaMpONxOcuhDtSLHIA
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

What is going on with your D: drive there?

Note that whenever the drive panel for D: is being updated, the free capacity of the D: drive changes. Whatever process doing work on the D: drive might perhaps be related to the issue you observe.

How is your experience while no other process is modifying content on drive D: ?
mecedo

Post by *mecedo »

Software for recording desktop were saving movie on D: But without recording, when free space is constant problem occurs too.
Maybe this fact will be helpful: Blinking icons are on folder icons from symbolic links. I have many folders mapped from Dropbox in many places on D: drive by symbolic links. they have icon with small arrow overlay in left-down corner. I don't want this overlays because they are annoying and deteriorate readability. So I've selected option "Show overlay icons e.g for links" because with this options overlays are hidden. But during entering to folders this arrow-overlays are showed for couple of milliseconds so that's makes blinking.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I downloaded the video and watched it at 0.25x speed (in VLC) to find out which icon is displayed. It looks like the link icon that is used for junctions and symlinks. Most of the directories in the right panel are not real directories but junctions or symlinks, and since the link icon is not displayed permanently it you have disabled this option - correct?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have watched the video. That's not blinking: TC shows a default icon for lnk folders, then gets the windows icon in the background thread and redisplays it when done.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mecedo

Post by *mecedo »

Dalai: No. I have to select option "Show overlay icons e.g for links". because if this option is disabled then arrows on symlinks are displayed permanently.

Gishler. Is it possible to not display default icon for lnk folders at the beginning but only windows icon in the whole time? In the version 9.0a this problem didn't appear.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

mecedo wrote:Gishler. Is it possible to not display default icon for lnk folders at the beginning but only windows icon in the whole time? In the version 9.0a this problem didn't appear.
I hope the issue reported here is not related to the one fixed in 9.10:
HISTORY.TXT wrote:09.05.17 Fixed: Show link icon for link files where the icon wasn't loaded yet, or will not be loaded (e.g. lnk files on the desktop with "EXE/LNK not on net" checked) (32/64)
so if mecedo's suggestion implemented it won't break mentioned fix.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708