[9.20b1] Cryptic error in Lister

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

umbra
Power Member
Power Member

[9.20b1] Cryptic error in Lister

Post by *umbra »

Hi, I just encountered a weird error message while searching for something using the Lister.

To reproduce it, open any text file (even an empty one) in Lister and search for a text with length of 256 characters or more. You will get an error message like this:

---------------------------
<Error!> (L=256>255)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
OK

The content of the error message is the searched string while the title says that its length is larger than expected 255, I guess.

2ghisler(Author)
Could you please increase the search string limit to be the same as line limit? Also, the error message seems like a triggered assert in code. Could please you create a more descriptive error message?

Reproduced on TC 9.20b1 and 9.12, both x32 and x64.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not strange. The error message is

L=256 > 255
Thge length 256 is larger than the supported maximum of 255.
Could you please increase the search string limit to be the same as line limit?
Sorry, I can't. I'm using a highly optimized assembler Boyer-Moore search which uses most processor registers. The lengths are handled via ah/al registers, which are 1 byte (0..255), resulting in this length limit.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Thanks for implementing this in 9.20. While the debug string ("L=x > 255") is still there, there is at least a clear title describing the problem.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64