[9.20rc2] Internal associations don't work in MTP folders

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

[9.20rc2] Internal associations don't work in MTP folders

Post by *MVV »

When I enter MTP folder (my phone folder under virtual Computer folder), I can open files with system associations by Enter, but can't open ones with internal associations, program is started in target directory and receives only file name, so is unable to find the file. Also I can't do F3 or quick view on files in MTP folders.

I think TC should copy files from MTP to temp folder for opening them in associated programs/Lister/QV, just like it does in archives or WFX plugins.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, that's not something I can add easily, it would take months to make it work properly. Therefore I have now disabled internal associations for files in virtual folders which have no path in the real file system. Internal associations will still work in the desktop virtual folder, libraries etc, but not on MTP devices.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, thank you, though it will be nice to see this feature in TC, it could make this disgusting protocol a bit less disgusting. :)

BTW, since TC is able to copy files via MTP, it shouldn't be too hard to reuse existing copy-to-temp-and-open functions that work for archives/WFX...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Copying from virtual folders only works with Copy+Paste via OLE2. It may not work without progress and/or other dialogs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com