[9.20rc2] More hotkey selection issues

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

[9.20rc2] More hotkey selection issues

Post by *MVV »

Problems:
1. Enter, Esc can't be used now for closing dialog as usual because combobox overrides system handler, so one have to switch to another control, and it is quite non-standard and a bit annoying (I believe this is more annoying for one people than handy for others who want to override these keys).

2. PgUp/PgDn/Home/End can't be used for navigation within long drop-down list as usual because of overriden handler, it is non-standard and annoying too.

3. F1-F12 keys can't be selected quickly, while these keys are very suitable for overriding and are not used in standard comboboxes so may be safely overriden.

4. Weird bug (you need a pre-configured shortcut for it, I'll assume that cm_EditPath is bound to Alt+Up like in previous report):
4.1. Open Misc cfg page.
4.2. Set modifiers, Alt in my case.
4.3. Open drop-down list anyhow.
4.3. Using Up/Down keys only, focus a shortcut key that have an assigned command, Up in my case, do not close list! Notice that assignen command (cm_EditPath) is shown in Command field.
4.4. Without closing drop-down list press a key for selecting it in list (it seems that any key excepy A-Z, 0-9, Enter, Esc, +, -, *, / may be used in this scenario), e.g. End. Notice that Command field shows a command for pressed key (or no command if not assigned).
4.4. Press Esc once to close drop-down list. Notice that combobox now shows the key that was selected with Up/Down keys but Command field shows the command for the key pressed at step 4.4! (in pre-RC2 version here a command for Esc was shown)

So please:
1. Bring system behaviour for Enter/Esc/PgUp/PgDn/Home/End/Up/Dn keys in opened drop-down list (now some of these keys are overriden).
2. Bring system behaviour for Enter/Esc/Up/Dn in collapsed combobox (Enter and Esc are overriden now, and it is not consistent with other controls).
3. Allow focusing F1-F12 keys in opened drop-down list by pressing these keys.
4. Allow selecting F1-F12 keys when collapsed combobox has focus.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. This is intentional

2. This is also intentional

3. I can confirm that, but I couldn't find a solution, sorry.

4. Not confirmed in my first test, probably did something wrong.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

1. This is intentional

2. This is also intentional
Please return system behaviour for these keys, it is really confusing and inconvenient.
3. I can confirm that, but I couldn't find a solution, sorry.
Overriding WM_KEYDOWN should work fine with F1-F12 keys, or how do you override keys?
4. Not confirmed in my first test, probably did something wrong.
I can reproduce it in 32-bit version, not tested in 64-bit one. You need to associate two keys (any one and a one not listed in step 4.4) with some commands before test, and then select first one with Up/Dn keys and second one by pressing the key on the keyboard, and then press Esc. E.g. associate Alt+Up with one command and Alt+End with another one, then select Up in drop-down list using arrows and then select End by pressing End key, and then press Esc -> combobox shows Up (it have jumped back to Up) but Command field shows the command for Alt+End (it still shows last displayed command). Here is a sample video with bug (F2 is bound to cm_RenameOnly and Home is bound to cm_GoToFirstEntry, and after Esc TC shows F2 with cm_GoToFirstEntry).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2MVV
I have sent you a private beta to your e-mail address set in the forum (from my GMail account). Please contact me by e-mail if you have a new e-mail address.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I've tested the private beta, another Esc press closes dialog properly, F1-F12 keys select corresponding list entries (though it is funny to see how F1 does both selecting and opening help :)), and the bug seems to be fixed, now Esc unrolls both combobox entry and command. Thank you!

Maybe it is better to open help on second F1 press?
And, it turns out that F4 is used for opening/closing drop-down list... Maybe we should not override it?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for testing! I will consider your suggestions for a future version.