auto refresh: Unable to cancel reading directory content

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Evds

auto refresh: Unable to cancel reading directory content

Post by *Evds »

When opening a large directory, where reading the content takes longer than x seconds, tcmd shows a dialog with a cancel button.

(In this case its a large directory on a san with a lot of file changes and auto refresh is enabled.)

When I press cancel, to stop reading the content of that directory, the gui freezes for a few seconds (I'm unable to click on anything; i guess tcmd is updating the file list with the files which already have been found) and immediately after that tcmd shows again the same dialog with the cancel button (triggered by the auto refresh ?). I click on cancel and the same situation repeats itself in a vicious circle.

tcmd 9.20 final
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Not confirmed. When I press Cancel, it shows what it has read so far. What directory are you trying to read?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Evds

Post by *Evds »

In tcmd I opened a unc path to a folder on a server. On that server a process was busy extracting data to xml files. The folder contained about 40.000 files (only xml files no subdirectories). I can reproduce it every time by opening that folder and pressing F2 when that process is busy.

By selecting "no icons" in the configuration it's better, the problem only occurs if the folder contains more files.

I can't reproduce it on my local computer though. If I run that process on my local computer and open a folder with about the same amount of files the directory content is shown instantly and if I open an even larger folder (where it does show the dialogbox) and I press cancel it shows what it has read so far.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: auto refresh: Unable to cancel reading directory content

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I couldn't reproduce it so far.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re:

Post by *wanderer »

Evds wrote: 2018-07-12, 19:24 UTC In tcmd I opened a unc path to a folder on a server.
What kind of server? A typical windows server? Linux-samba perhaps? Maybe its not a TC issue but a server or a network one...

Server has an antivirus/firewall on it? What happens if disabled?

What happens with a clean tc.ini?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.