9.20 x64 Repeatable PDF bug

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ljfnord

9.20 x64 Repeatable PDF bug

Post by *ljfnord »

I cannot view PDF files when launched from Total Commander v9.20 x64. When I click on the PDF file, I get a busy cursor for a few seconds, which eventually reverts to normal. No PDF is displayed. However, a check of running processes in SysInternals procexp64.exe shows that two instances of AcroRd32.exe are still running. I cannot task switch to these instances. I have tried this on many PDFs and even on two machines now, with the same results. I've even uninstalled Acrobat and reinstalled it, with no joy. However, launching the PDF from an explorer window does bring up the PDF display, leading me to believe that the problem is with Total Commander itself.

Can you please investigate this? Thank you for your help!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a known problem with Adobe Reader when you run Total Commander with higher user rights (As Administrator):
AcroRd32.exe is always running hidden in the background with normal user rights, to make opening PDF files faster. Windows security doesn't allow DDE communication between TC with higher user rights and AcroRd32.exe with normal user rights, so the launch fails.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: 9.20 x64 Repeatable PDF bug

Post by *Usher »

ljfnord wrote:I cannot view PDF files when launched from Total Commander
If you don't need to fill forms in PDF, you can use slister plugin which works with SumatraPDF browser, both have 64-bit versions.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: 9.20 x64 Repeatable PDF bug

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Usher wrote:
ljfnord wrote:I cannot view PDF files when launched from Total Commander
If you don't need to fill forms in PDF, you can use slister plugin which works with SumatraPDF browser, both have 64-bit versions.
Or stop using TC as administrator
which is a bad idea regardless of the Acrobat problem.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64