Zip temp folder ignored

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VinceB

Zip temp folder ignored

Post by *VinceB »

Hi,
Lookup like the setting Zip packer > "Directory for temporary files" is ignored when placed on "other" (and choose anything else)
It always take the %TEMP% folder, even after a restart.

Could somone comfirme this ?

This append with version 9.12 and latest 9.20
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Zip temp folder ignored

Post by *tuska »

2VinceB
Could somone comfirme this ?
I can confirm that.
I traced this back to version 8.52a.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Help File wrote: Directory for temporary files
Determines the directory where the internal ZIP packer puts its temporary files (only necessary when packing to removable disks):
So for temporarily unpacking files for viewing, comparing or editing this setting is not used.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
VinceB

Post by *VinceB »

petermad wrote: 2018-07-26, 10:28 UTC
Help File wrote: Directory for temporary files
Determines the directory where the internal ZIP packer puts its temporary files (only necessary when packing to removable disks):
So for temporarily unpacking files for viewing, comparing or editing this setting is not used.
Oh ... that's explain everything... Excuse me for not having take a look at the help manual.
Thanks for having pointing the reason ;)

Altough, the choice to apply the setting only when opening a file on a removable disk is awkward...
I know this is nos the goal of this thread, but is there a way to control the zip temp folder via the .ini file ?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can start TC via a batch file, where you set the TEMP environment before starting TC, then TC will use that setting.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

If there is an option "Directory for temporary files (internal ZIP): other:",
then, in my opinion, it should be possible to specify a directory there, e.g. %COMMANDER_PATH% [or H:\Data].

Because then I do not want to put a .ZIP file in %TEMP%,
e.g. when using a portable TC version on an USB stick on a third-party PC.

Such a setting I would see as analogous to Configuration > Options... > Thumbnails > Database Location.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed the temporary ZIP folder the user can set is only used when packing to a removable drive. The idea is that you can still update an archive when the existing one takes more than the remaining free space on the removable drive.

Example: 16GB flash drive, 100MB archive, 50MB free on flash drive. When changing the ZIP, TC has to create a new ZIP containing the added or modified files. This takes at least the same space as the existing archive, so 50MB wouldn't be sufficient. Therefore TC then creates the new archive in the given TEMP directory, verifies it, then deletes the old archive and moves the new one back to the flash drive.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com