NTFS permissions are not copied with junctions

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

masto

NTFS permissions are not copied with junctions

Post by *masto »

Windows uses special directory junctions in c:\users\username\. The behaviour of these junctions is controlled additionally by the special NTFS permission "deny directory listing/reading data" for everybody.
Example: Opening c:\users\username\Anwendungsdaten (in a German Windows) puts you to c:\users\username\AppData\Rooming. Without the special permission it would put you to c:\users\username\Anwendungsdaten, showing there the content of AppData\Rooming.
Copying the junction c:\users\username\Anwendungsdaten with TC to another location (e.g. c:\temp\) with the CopyLink=1 setting and Copy NTFS Permissions checked will *not* copy the special permission. The junction works not as intended.
Copying the same junction with the CopyLink=0 (the standard) setting and Copy NTFS Permissions checked will correctly copy the permission but obviously create an empty directory instead of a junction.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NTFS permissions are not copied with junctions

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC can problably not read these permissions due to missing permissions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
masto

Post by *masto »

No, I just checked it with a self-made (using NTFS-Links 1.3) junctiun to a self-made directory. I gave one domain user full rights to it in addition to the inherited permissions. These permissions are not copied by TC. Doing the same with an ordinary directory works correctly.
Meanwhile I also know that FastCopy by H.Shirouzu copies Windows user profiles including their standard junctions with all permissions correctly.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, there are no instructions on how to copy these special permissions anywhere. TC would probably have to call some functions, but I have no idea which.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com