[9.50] Color examples: Hint shown with wrong font

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[9.50] Color examples: Hint shown with wrong font

Post by *Flint »

When you go to Settings - Color, and select any of the "Hint windows" options from the drop-down, the small hint appears in the preview box. However, for drawing the text, it uses the same font that is configured for the file panels, so it may look completely different from what the user will actually see in TC interface. (For example, I have bold font weight for my file panels, and the hint preview is also displayed in bold, while in TC itself it's displayed with normal thin-lined font.)

Tested in 9.50rc2, x32 and x64.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [9.50] Color examples: Hint shown with wrong font

Post by *DrShark »

Yeah, I wrote about it both here on a forum and by email. In email Christian Ghisler wrote it will take too much time and efforts to make the preview absolutely realistic (and big hint custom font sizes set by user may cause problems in preview). Regarding another request about font in preview,
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-12-05, 16:00 UTCI don't care, this is just a color preview.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

At first I didn't plan to report this, since. I thought too, that it's just a color preview. But when the font thickness is so different, even the colors may be perceived differently, so the preview does not play its part properly.

However, I cannot say this is a critical issue. If it's too hard to implement, it might not be worth it.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, there are too many problems to implement (imagine that the user sets a HUGE font size). Since this is for color preview only, I prefer to keep it as it is now.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com