[SOLVED] Lister Ctrl+C (Copy to Clipboard) has issues with Unix-style line breaks/newline

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

[SOLVED] Lister Ctrl+C (Copy to Clipboard) has issues with Unix-style line breaks/newline

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Tested and observed on: Total Commander 9.51RC5, 9.22a; both 32-bit and 64-bit versions

(Update: This issue is present since at least version 7.57a - the oldest version i have tested. I would not be surprised if there is already a report about this issue somewhere in the forum, unfortunately i wasn't able to find one using both the forum search and Google - with the site: operator - using various combinations of different search terms :-( )

When a text selection in Lister ends with a Unix-style line break ("\n"), Lister ignores this "\n" at the end of the selction or converts it into a space character (0x20).

This only happens to a Unix-style line-break at the very end of the selection. Any other Unix-style line breaks within the selection do not suffer from this issue. (Windows-style line breaks "\r\n" are unaffected by this issue.)

How to reproduce:
  1. Start up TC with a fresh (or without) wincmd.ini.
  2. Display a text file with Unix-style line breaks (using single \n as line-breaks).
  3. Select two or more text lines. Make sure that the selection ends with the Unix-style line break of the last selected line.
  4. Ctrl+C.
  5. Use a Clipboard monitor, some text editor, or write your own program/script to inspect the original clipboard content.

Expected result:

Selected text will be copied as-is to the clipboard, including the last Unix-style line break at the end of the selection.

Observed results:
  • When Lister is in "Text Only" view mode: Lister converts the last Unix-style line break at the end of the selection into a space character (0x20). Any other Unix-style line breaks within the selection remain as-is.
  • When Lister is in "UTF-8" view mode: Lister simply discards the last Unix-style line break at the end of the selection when copying the selection to the clipboard. Any other Unix-style line breaks within the selection remain as-is.
  • When Lister is in "Unicode" view mode: (showing a Unicode-encoded text file with Unix-style line breaks) Like "UTF-8" view mode, Lister simply discards the last Unix-style line break at the end of the selection when copying the selection to the clipboard. Any other Unix-style line breaks within the selection remain as-is.
Last edited by gdpr deleted 6 on 2021-03-19, 14:01 UTC, edited 6 times in total.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lister Ctrl+C (Copy to Clipboard) has issues with Unix-style line breaks/newline

In case someone does not have a Clipboard monitor at hand or doesn't trust their text editor of choice to not auto-convert clipboard content, here is a crude Powershell script that displays the raw text content (without any conversion) character by character.

Attention! For this script to work, Powershell must be started with the -sta option (Single thread apartment mode). Otherwise, the Clipboard class used in the script won't be able to access the clipboard content.

Code: Select all

function ShowClipboardText()
{
    add-type -an system.windows.forms
    $clipData = [System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard]::GetDataObject()
    foreach ($c in $clipData.GetData("UnicodeText", $False).ToCharArray()) { "0x{0:X2} ({1})" -f [int]$c,$c }
}
The script prints both the hex values of the characters in the clipboard and the characters themselves. Thus, when it prints a newline character (\n) in the console, the console actually executes the newline. Keep that in mind when looking at the output of the script...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lister Ctrl+C (Copy to Clipboard) has issues with Unix-style line breaks/newline

Post by *Dalai »

Confirmed. However, other programs also have issues copying the correct characters. The SynWrite plugin converts the line-breaks into CRLF, HxD converts them into 0x2E. Only Notepad++ - and curiously enough Notepad - seem to do it right.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Dalai wrote: 2020-03-12, 14:43 UTC The SynWrite plugin converts the line-breaks into CRLF
Converting a Unix-style LF into a Windows-style CR+LF is tolerable, as the nature of the thing (= "line break") remains the same.
HxD converts them into 0x2E.
No, it doesn't. :D
It only shows control characters as dots (0x2E) in its UI, but when selecting and copying such characters, they are correctly copied to the clipboard. (At least the 2.1.0.0 and - since i just checked for an update right now -- the 2.4.0.0 versions i am using do it this way)
Notepad
Yeah. After many, many, many years MS finally improved Notepad's line ending handling in 2018. :P
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-03-12, 14:58 UTCNo, it doesn't. :D
Version 1.7.x does. (I didn't have the need to upgrade to version 2.x yet.)
Yeah. After many, many, many years MS finally improved Notepad's line ending handling in 2018. :P
It's not required to use Notepad on Win10. It also works on Win7, although the selection of LF line-breaks is a little bit cumbersome.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I remember vaguely that I had to change that last line break because pasting such text to certain programs caused them to crash. Unfortunately I cannot find this documented anywhere (it was decades ago), but I'm reluctant to change it now...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Well, if Unix-style line endings was/is a concern, why is it only a concern at the end of the selection, but not within the selection?
Anyway, more importantly, why translating a Unix-style line ending into a space or ignoring it, instead of translating into a CR+LF? And why is there an inconsistent behavior depending on view mode to begin with?

It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense... :?

When some program crashes if TC's lister puts stuff into the clipboard, well it would also crash if other programs (such as Notepad++) would put the "stuff" into the clipboard, no? Why trying to bodge TC in an attempt to "fix" such a program, which still would remain broken and crash-prone unless you constrain yourself to use only Total Commander's lister and would never use no other program to copy text from a text file into the clipboard? I know (i am sorry), that was a situation decades ago, so it is pointless to argue about deeds done. But the thing to take away here is that this bodge in TC's lister effectively hampers a tremendously useful and tremendously basic feature (copying text to clipboard), decades later...

I am not asking nor insisting that you need to fix it now. I am not trying to be pushy here. But at the heart of thing, what the lister currently does with Unix-style line endings at the end of a selection cannot be really explained as some kind of feature...
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

History.txt wrote: 11.11.20 Fixed: Lister: Copy text from Unix text file -> do not convert trailing 0x10 to space (32/64)
Awesome. It has been fixed, but only partially in TC 10.00b1a.

In "Text only" mode all is now good, with a trailing Unix-style line break in the selection now being preserved as line break (whether Unix-style or not) when copying into the clipboard. Yay! :)

However, in UTF-8 and Unicode modes, a trailing Unix-style line break in the selection is still being involuntarily discarded :(
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will check it, thanks.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

UTF-8 and Unicode mode confirmed fixed in TC 10.00b2 x86 and x64. Thanks!