TC looses contact with Everything

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vdijken

TC looses contact with Everything

Post by *vdijken »

I noticed when my PC (Window 10, 64 bits) uses 100% CPU and I use TC, TC looses contact with Everything. Sometime a message pops up that Everything is not installed or the tick using Alt-F7 is gone. When I indicate that Everything should be used (by the tick) Everything tries to build up the database but the search for files is aborted and the bottom line shows that Everything is not used. The behaviour is random so I can't pinpoint when it happens exactly.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC looses contact with Everything

Post by *Horst.Epp »

vdijken wrote: 2020-03-13, 10:42 UTC I noticed when my PC (Window 10, 64 bits) uses 100% CPU and I use TC, TC looses contact with Everything. Sometime a message pops up that Everything is not installed or the tick using Alt-F7 is gone. When I indicate that Everything should be used (by the tick) Everything tries to build up the database but the search for files is aborted and the bottom line shows that Everything is not used. The behaviour is random so I can't pinpoint when it happens exactly.
If Everything has not yet finished a database update TC connection will fail.
There is no info in your post about TC and Everything versions !
Also Everything service should be installed and Everything running in the background.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC should show a waiting message when everything is busy. However, it's possible that Everything doesn't respond at all within the time limit when the PC is at 100% CPU. Then TC will assume that it's not responding.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

I use the latest RC5 X64 version of TC. can version Versie 1.4.1.965 (x64) of everything. The taskmanager starts TC and the Everything service and at start up Everything starts ("C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -startup). When I use Everything directly in that circumstances it works fine.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Depending on the settings you use, Everything can take a lot of time to startup.
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

It happens when the PC runs quite a while, I do some work using TC. E.g. I edit some code and run than the program which uses as much CPU as possible and all the cores.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try starting Everything with your PC. This is the only solution if it takes too long for indexing.