Built-in full support for the 7-Zip archiver

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Andy Solo

Built-in full support for the 7-Zip archiver

Post by *Andy Solo »

I thought that the new version of TC 10.00 beta 1a will have built-in full support for the 7-Zip archiver (as is now done for the WinRar archiver). You also need to remove from TC old archivers that no one has been using for a long time: ARJ, UC2, ACE.
tcOne

Re: Built-in full support for the 7-Zip archiver

Post by *tcOne »

Total7zip plugin is what you need.
Also, some people do need to open old (like, very old) archive files. We can spare a few KBs of storage space for still supporting these formats.

OT:
Both wincmd.ru and totalcmd.net went away?
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Oh, i didn't notice TC has built-in RAR compression now. But i am in the same boat as you. I very much prefer 7-zip. I used RAR many, many years back, but since quite a long time i am basically using nothing else than 7z (aside from the odd occasion where i am required to create zip or gzip archives).

Considering the popularity of 7-zip - not least because it is entirely free to use (unlike RAR), i also hope to see better 7-zip packing integration in TC in the not so distant future.

Btw, i don't mind keeping the old archivers in TC, and i strongly disagree with the demand that they need to be removed. They don't pester you in the middle of the night when you are sleeping. Or is feeding cat food to the guardians of old archiver formats too much of a burden to you? ;-)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

elgonzo wrote: 2021-03-13, 15:32 UTC Oh, i didn't notice TC has built-in RAR compression now. But i am in the same boat as you. I very much prefer 7-zip. I used RAR many, many years back, but since quite a long time i am basically using nothing else than 7z (aside from the odd occasion where i am required to create zip or gzip archives).

Considering the popularity of 7-zip - not least because it is entirely free to use (unlike RAR), i also hope to see better 7-zip packing integration in TC in the not so distant future.

Btw, i don't mind keeping the old archivers in TC, and i strongly disagree with the demand that they need to be removed. They don't pester you in the middle of the night when you are sleeping. Or is feeding cat food to the guardians of old archiver formats too much of a burden to you? ;-)
No, TC 10 doesn't have build-in RAR compression !
Thats still not possible because of WinRAR license restriction.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Andy Solo

Post by *Andy Solo »

tcOne wrote: 2021-03-13, 14:55 UTC Total7zip plugin is what you need.
Total7zip plugin is very old. Not updated for a long time. It would be easier to add support for an external 7-Zip archiver to TC, as it is done for WinRar.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Horst.Epp wrote: 2021-03-13, 15:42 UTC No, TC 10 doesn't have build-in RAR compression !
Thats still not possible because of WinRAR license restriction.
Oh, too bad. I blindly assumed that the RarLabs guys struck a deal with Christian. I mean, who ever bought a WinRAR license? (Sparrow in the hand, and all that...) I know quite many firms that licensed - and still license - WinZIP (mostly here in Western Europe). But with WinRAR i draw a blank. Okay, well, there is that LGR dude who purchased a WinRAR license recently. I guess that counts for something :twisted:

Still, i feel bad to let myself getting carried away on a blind assumption... :(
Last edited by gdpr deleted 6 on 2021-03-13, 16:02 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Andy Solo wrote: 2021-03-13, 15:51 UTC Total7zip plugin is very old. Not updated for a long time. It would be easier to add support for an external 7-Zip archiver to TC, as it is done for WinRar.
You are victim of a fundamental misunderstanding. It doesn't matter that Total7zip is very old because, believe it or not, it does not contain an iota of 7-zip code. It merely calls the official 7-zip executables, and plays nicely even with the newest 7-zip executables. (The plug-in has a config file that allows you to customize the commandline parameters used to invoke the 7-zip executables. And unless a future 7-zip version will change the commandline interface of its executables substantially, this plug-in will also work with future 7-zip versions as well.) Tell me, when it still works perfecly with the current 7-zip executables, what would stop you from using it? (That doesn't mean i wouldn't like built-in 7-zip compression support, though.)
tcOne

Post by *tcOne »

Andy Solo wrote: 2021-03-13, 15:51 UTC Total7zip plugin is very old. Not updated for a long time. It would be easier to add support for an external 7-Zip archiver to TC, as it is done for WinRar.
Reiterating elgonzo's reply, with less words:
Total7zip does exactly just that: it adds support for external 7-zip archiver, where we actually use the official 7-zip archiver's files.