Can't open ZIP with many files

This forum contains bug reports from previous beta tests - the issue has remained unresolved, either because it couldn't be reproduced, or couldn't be prevented/fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MatthiasM

Can't open ZIP with many files

Post by *MatthiasM »

Hi,

I create a ZIP file with TC or 7zip that is about 50MB large and contains 3176 files and 1781 folders.

I can open and decompress this ZIP using 7zip without any problems.

but TC can't open it (eg show the files/folders in it) nor can it uncompress it. It writes "Error in packed file ...."

when I compress the the 12 top level directories separate or in groups the the ZIP files can be opened.

I had also larger ZIPs in the past (in terms of MB) which did not cause any trouble.

PS: That's the first time since many years that TC does not work as expect - compared with other apps that's perfect - great work.

Ciao Matthias Mann
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Sounds like you haven't created a ZIP but a 7Z archive and only given it the wrong extension.

Open the archive with 7-Zip and press Info, or check with TrID. Or rename to 7Z and then try again...

Icfu
This account is for sale
MatthiasM

Post by *MatthiasM »

I'm not stupid.

As I have created this ZIP also with Total Commander - with the same result.

I viewed the file using TC's built in HEX viewer - it has PK markers at the start - and it has the central directory at the end (full of PK markers).

And I made sure that 7zip was set to ZIP mode.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I haven't told you that you are stupid, I have only given you one out of a few solutions to your problem.

I won't risk to offend you a second time with wild guesses, especially because you have already proven in 2006 that helping you doesn't pay off. Good luck!

Icfu
This account is for sale
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2MatthiasM
I have several 1 to 3 GigaB big zip files containing of to 22000 files in numerous dirctories. They are packed with TC and work with no problems.

Try and start TC with a fresh wincmd.ini file (/i=test.ini) and pack the files again - to make sure it is not a plugin problem.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander can open all zip files following the original zip standard and the >2GB Winzip extensions. TC cannot open a zip where the file names are encrypted - maybe this is the case? I haven't received any other complaints about unreadable zip files...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MatthiasM

Post by *MatthiasM »

I tried with a clean INI file and the error is no longer reproducible. It also doesn't happen anymore with the original INI file.

And the ZIP file that I created 5 days ago can also be opened now. So it seems that TC created a 100% valid ZIP file but because some strange (system) state did not want to open it (does it use memory mapping ?).

TC is started in autostart and keeps running until I reboot the machine. In this case it was several days. And I use TC a lot. Mostly file copying, compression, FTP and file compares.
MatthiasM

Post by *MatthiasM »

I could reproduce the problem with another ZIP file that I downloaded from the web: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ogre/ogre-win32-v1-4-6.zip

After Total Commander was running ~11 days I could not open the ZIP file. I closed TC and started it again - now I can open the ZIP file (~38 MB).

I could open smaller ZIP files (tested with ~700KB files).

I'll try to get a virtual memory overview if this happens again.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That's indeed interesting - I have never run Total Commander for such a long time, I'm always turning off the PC over night (completely, using a mechanical switch...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2ghisler(Author)
I'm always turning off the PC over night
So do I - but I use Hibernate (Suspend-to-disk) instead of shutting down, so programs do not have to be closed before switching power off.
Normally I (re)boot just 1 or 2 times a year. :D

I had some defect files, that can be opened by WinRAR, but not by TC.
I didn't notice a change after restarting TC yet, though.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Can't open ZIP with many files

Post by *DrShark »

MatthiasM wrote: 2008-01-08, 02:42 UTCI create a ZIP file with TC or 7zip that is about 50MB large and contains 3176 files and 1781 folders.

[...]

but TC can't open it (eg show the files/folders in it) nor can it uncompress it. It writes "Error in packed file ...."
MatthiasM wrote: 2008-01-16, 23:23 UTCAfter Total Commander was running ~11 days I could not open the ZIP file. I closed TC and started it again - now I can open the ZIP file (~38 MB).
The description of this problem with "Error in packed file" error text on try to unpack ZIP file when there is not enough of free RAM to do this looks similar to a problem I reported by email with packing to ZIPX when also there is not enough of free RAM, and TC shows similar general error:

Code: Select all

---------------------------
Error creating ZIP!
Internal error compressing file!
ОК 
Christian Ghisler is aware of this case and told he'll look whether it's possible to show Out of Memory error here instead.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708