[BUG] Help: Description of Small Icons is wrong

This forum contains bug reports from previous beta tests - the issue has remained unresolved, either because it couldn't be reproduced, or couldn't be prevented/fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

[BUG] Help: Description of Small Icons is wrong

Post by *icfu »

Small icons: If checked, the icons are shown in 16x16 size, otherwise they are resized to the given size.
This text is nonsense and/or outdated. The setting "Small Icons" enables the buttonbar to display the correctly dimensioned icon in an icon resource automatically. ***

Also the size field beneath should be GRAYED OUT when this setting is deactivated!

By the way, what's the sense of this setting? Why would anyone disable it and prefer to see ugly icons?

Icfu

*** Edited later, to be more precise:
Small icon size=32 chooses correct 32x32 icon, as long as Button Size >= 20, which is (16+24)/2
Small icon size=24 chooses correct 24x24 icon, as long as Button Size >= 12, which is (8+16)/2

This means that TC only chooses the forced "small icon size" as long as the difference to the chosen button size isn't too extreme, otherwise TC switches to the next lowersized icon.
Last edited by icfu on 2008-01-12, 13:10 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
This account is for sale
Clo

Alternative---

Post by *Clo »

2icfu

:) Hi Jeff !

• How the dialogue looks with a wording changed in the standalone English LNG : HERE.
- I use these settings for flat 24² icons, and the last box is NOT ticked…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

How the dialogue looks with a wording changed in the standalone English LNG : HERE.
Much better, why hasn't this been realized? Has ghisler ignored that proposal? Strange...

I would also change location, like that:
Button size: [ ]
Icon size: [ ]
[ ] XP style
[ ] Flat icons

I just see that XP style isn't mentioned at all in help...
I use these settings for flat 24² icons, and the last box is NOT ticked…
Why don't you tick the box and enter 24 in there? Is there any downside I am overlooking?

Icfu
This account is for sale
Clo

Advised in the Tuto

Post by *Clo »

:) Hi Jeff (again-again) !
Much better, why hasn't this been realized? Has ghisler ignored that proposal? Strange... …
• Let guess… (sigh…) In the Tuto, we recommend a small package we made with the changed LNGs.
- That wording has been defined by Paul Vansumsen-friend when testing 7.0,
because I couldn't succeed to install my 24² "flat" properly.
- Indeed, some optimization of the controls have been proposed too…
…I just see that XP style isn't mentioned at all in help...
• We have added it in the French Tuto, with some comments. We missed it in the English one, we'll add a.s.a.p.

• I set Button size=24 and "Flat", because normally I use separate native 24² home-made icons.
- Doing so, I have the maximal number of icons : just the icons "flat" and the default hard-coded spacings.

:mrgreen:  VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Much better, why hasn't this been realized? Has ghisler ignored that proposal? Strange...
Actually I proposed this in the alpha test phase:
May I suggest to change the current "Size" to "Button size" and change "Small icons" to "Icon size"
and Ghisler answered:
Good idea!
Later, when it wasn't changed Lefteous asked:
Do you still plan to change the caption "Small icon" to "icon size" or "User-defined icon size"?
and Ghisler replied:
No. I have tried it, but it was even more confusing, and problematic because it cannot be checked/unchecked separately then. The idea of the current solution is that you can choose a smaller icon size than the button size.
and that's where it stranded.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Credits…

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hello Peter!

• I meant that Paul defined this wording for me in French, 'cause I missed your message
(some troubles on that time, I guess).

• Anyway, I don't see what is worse with it, we use it in French and didn't get complaints from the users till now…
- Like icfu points out in his start message, "Small icons" means nothing now (has never been used in French),
and I wonder that you have kept it in Danish :?
- This dialogue needs big improvements, obviously…
- I fear we'll have to wait for the TC 8 to get that… :roll:

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2008-01-13, 18:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I wonder that you have kept it in Danish
I was very tempted to change it in Danish - but as there is no Danish Help file it wouldn't match the help, so therefore I didn't change it.
I fear we'll have to wait for the TC 8 to get that
So do I.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [BUG] Help: Description of Small Icons is wrong

Post by *DrShark »

icfu wrote: 2008-01-12, 08:56 UTC
Small icons: If checked, the icons are shown in 16x16 size, otherwise they are resized to the given size.
This text is nonsense and/or outdated
The Help of TC 9.50 beta 5 have this text changed:
Help page 'Dialog box: Configuration - Change button bar ' wrote:Small icons If checked, the icons are resized to the given size (default: 16x16), otherwise they are resized to the button size.
So it seems to be fixed.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708