TC7.03 FTP freezes when uploading files with 2100 bytes

This forum contains bug reports from previous beta tests - the issue has remained unresolved, either because it couldn't be reproduced, or couldn't be prevented/fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tonycosus

TC7.03 FTP freezes when uploading files with 2100 bytes

Post by *tonycosus »

Hello, I have winXP service pack 2.
TC 7.02a and TC 7.03 freeze when uploading files that have 2100 bytes. I tried with 2099 and 2101 bytes and it works fine. I tried binary but still freezes. After I press disconnect and reconnect, the file is there but has only 2048 bytes instead of 2100 bytes and TC can't download it, but can delete it. I downloaded it with a browser and 52 bytes from the file were missing.

That was in passive mode. If I don't use passive mode it works fine. I tried witn another FTP application in passive mode and it worked.

Connect to: (04/27/2008 21:55:42)
hostname=66.154.***.***
username=*******
startdir=
220 CyberWurx FTP
USER *******
331 Please specify the password.
PASS ***********
230 Login successful.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Features:
EPRT
EPSV
MDTM
PASV
REST STREAM
SIZE
TVFS
211 End
Connect ok!
PWD
257 "/"
Get directory
TYPE A
200 Switching to ASCII mode.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (66,154,***,***,90,42)
LIST
150 Here comes the directory listing.
Download
Waiting for server...
226 Directory send OK.
CWD mysite
250 Directory successfully changed.
PWD
257 "/mysite"
Get directory
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (66,154,***,***,61,26)
LIST
150 Here comes the directory listing.
Download
Waiting for server...
226 Directory send OK.
TYPE I
200 Switching to Binary mode.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (66,154,35,210,218,169)
STOR File.htm
150 Ok to send data.
Upload
Cancel pressed! (HERE TC FREEZED AND I PRESSED CANCEL)
SIZE File.htm
Copied (04/27/2008 22:01:13): D:\...\pages\File.htm -> ftp://66.154.***.***/mysite/File.htm 2,100 bytes, 0 bytes/s
Get directory
TYPE A
PASV
Clo

OK here…

Post by *Clo »

2tonycosus

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !

• I just tried to upload a 2,100 bytes text-file to a remote directory @ my Web host, no problem !
- I re_downloaded it too, no problem still… I use passive mode in the two cases.
- You may try to download it, and use as a test (it's in French, but no matter…).
- Notice that on the server (Unix) it's only shown as 2,084 bytes because the line ends, it's alright 2,100 bytes in Windows…
Available HERE.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
tonycosus

Re: OK here…

Post by *tonycosus »

Clo wrote: - Notice that on the server (Unix) it's only shown as 2,084 bytes because the line ends, it's alright 2,100 bytes in Windows…
Yes my server is also unix, I know that it uses only 1 byte for new lines, and my file has 2048 bytes when uploaded in binary mode, in ascii mode it has 1988 bytes.

Please try on other ftp servers, I tried on 4 ftp servers, 3 failed but one worked, maybe it's because of the type of server.
Clo

2 servers, 2 OK

Post by *Clo »

2tonycosus

:) Again…

• I uploaded my test file to another Unix server, it's OK. Sorry, I've no more servers I can send to…
- My friend user Paul Vansumsen has a personal F T P server «TYPSoft FTP Serveur 1.10»,
but it doesn't work in passive mode from here, so testing with it is useless… :|

• We have to wait for the Author's and¦or F T P gurus' opinions now…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
tonycosus

Re: 2 servers, 2 OK

Post by *tonycosus »

Thx for the help Clo.
I found another problem, that I can't upload files with 44 characters in their file name.
I connected to the internet with my mobile phone and it works, I uploaded the file with 2100 bytes and the file with 44 chars in file name.
So the problem is my internet cable company, or maybe somebody is sniffing ftp packets, trying to find my password?

I found a document where it says that ftp passwords are 44 characters max.
In another documment called Ftp Server Messages it says "The length of dsname is 44; if membername is included, the length of the RNAME field will be 52."

And there were 52 bytes missing from the file with 2100 bytes I uploaded, and I can't upload files with 44 characters in file name.

Some FTP gurus please help...
Thank you.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2tonycosus
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your problem. I created a file with 2100 characters as test.txt and then uploaded it to ghisler.com and ghisler.ch, no problems! I also had no problems uploading a file with 44 character name length (40 character name, dot, 3 character extension).

Please try to upload with ftp.exe (part of the Windows operating system). Do you get the same problems?

To me it sounds like a problem with the MTU (maximum transmission unit)...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tonycosus

Post by *tonycosus »

ghisler(Author) wrote: Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your problem. I created a file with 2100 characters as test.txt and then uploaded it to ghisler.com and ghisler.ch, no problems! I also had no problems uploading a file with 44 character name length (40 character name, dot, 3 character extension).

Please try to upload with ftp.exe (part of the Windows operating system). Do you get the same problems?

To me it sounds like a problem with the MTU (maximum transmission unit)...
I tried Windows ftp.exe. The file with 2100 bytes worked, but in active mode (i don't know how to use passive here). The file with 44 characters didn't work, works only if I use this command:

PUT "filewith44characters" "/filewith44characters"

With slash works because the destination name has 45 characters.

The 44 character file doesn't work uploading in TC, regadless if I use passive or active mode. TC freezes and after I press cancel and reconnect, the file is there but has 0 bytes and when I delete it TC freezes, then when reconnecting the file is gone.

I tried connecting to the internet with my mobile phone and I had no problems, so it's something with my cable modem or internet connection.

I don't know what could be causing this.
Thank you.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try modifying the maximum transmission unit:
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/280/

Try 1492 first, and if it doesn't work, try with 576.
tonycosus

Post by *tonycosus »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Try modifying the maximum transmission unit:
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/280/

Try 1492 first, and if it doesn't work, try with 576.
Thank you, it worked with MTU 576 bytes. Now I can upload the file containing 2100 bytes.

But still can't upload the files with 45 characters in file name (sorry I counted wrong earlier, it's 45 characters, not 44).

I think it may be something with the router from my internet cable company.
Thank you.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It may be a restriction of the file system on the target system. Do you get any error message back from the server?