TC 7.03 freezing the whole computer

This forum contains bug reports from previous beta tests - the issue has remained unresolved, either because it couldn't be reproduced, or couldn't be prevented/fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bebop

TC 7.03 freezing the whole computer

Post by *bebop »

Hi,
Very often, when I have a FTP connection open and either is trying to open a picture in the other Window or trying to browse a zip file, my whole computer is freezing. I cannot open the taskmanager to close the program or right-click the session and try to close it.
Only thing is to power down the computer and start up again.

TC: 7.03

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
bebop
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Normal user-mode programs like Total Commander cannot freeze the entire computer, so this must be caused by a driver like a virus scanner or firewall. I assume that you have a virus scanner which tries to scan the entire ZIP file when you try to open it. If the file is big, this can take several minutes. The solution is to turn off the scanning inside archives. This way the files will only be scanned when you unpack them, but not when you send or receive the archive.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bebop

Post by *bebop »

Have tried that already but it still freezes.
I just encountered the same problem with FTP and working with other files;
I had a ftp connection open in one panel (never timed out, open & active connection) and copied/deleted/moved files locally in the other panel. Slowly the machine went slower and finally it all frooze up. In the taskbar I could see one, two and three TC windows open and close.

This Vista Junk should be sent to Mars or somewhere. Digital Junk indeed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Something is definitely wrong. Maybe you can find out what is going on with the tool Filemon from www.sysinternals.com (now part of Microsoft).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com