Lister: cannot search double backslash

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

blindvic

Lister: cannot search double backslash

Post by *blindvic »

When viewing a text file using Lister, it doesn't search correctly double backslash.
Pressing Ctrl+F and entering '\\' makes lister to find single backslash '\'. If enter '\\\' or '\\\\' it looks for these strings as expected.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

blindvic,
'\\\\' it looks for these strings
Not confirmed. "\\\\" looks for two backslashes (not four), as described in the help file.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

If a text file contains e.g. text d:\test, the search will be successful for both search patterns d:\ and d:\\, but unsuccessfull e.g. for the pattern d:\t.
I think if help file definitely says that pattern \\ corresponts to single backslash, so search should not be successful for d:\ pattern.
Bartusg

Post by *Bartusg »

Request: Could text be defined as everything one can type and find in a basic text-editor? Everything else eg line-breaks would then be searchable using regex.
I do happen to have a c:\test dir for trying out portable apps; searching this string in regedit is straightforward, in TC I had to do some thorough reading to discover I was in fact searching for Line Breaks.
Of course this would involve both the search dialog and the Lister view and find function (F3).
Last edited by Bartusg on 2011-06-23, 20:21 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Jungle,
search should not be successful for d:\ pattern
Why not? d: is in the text file.

Bartusg,
I do happen to have a c:\test dir for trying out portable apps; searching this string in regedit is straightforward, in TC I had to do some thorough reading to discover I was in fact searching for line breaks.
Tabs, actually.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Bartusg

Post by *Bartusg »

Hacker wrote: Tabs, actually.
That is the problem exactly, by searching strings like 'c:\test', 'd:\nieuwe profeten' or 'h:\disoneisharmless' one has to become a very particular kind of reader to scan for tab or line break collisions (yes/yes/no).
In other words I don't want to have do such scanning, that's what I have a computer for.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2Bartusg
This is the way it is designed and well documented.
It just works the way like powerful text editors do.
In other words I don't want to have do such scanning
The only thing you have to look for is:
If you are searching for a backslash, you have to double it ...
#5767 Personal license
Bartusg

Post by *Bartusg »

sqa_wizard wrote: This is the way it is designed and well documented.
The point I try to make is that the design could be a bit more logical. Documentation would have to change, but for that we have text editors.
It just works the way like powerful text editors do.
Please read: everything one can type and find in a basic text-editor... I was thinking of Notepad, but take a look at: http://files.myopera.com/bartgzn/files/Notepad++.JPG
The only thing you have to look for is:
If you are searching for a backslash, you have to double it ...
A backslash is something I can type and find in a simple text editor, and probably in Notepad++ too.
From another perspective, would you consider renting a car that can only be driven safely when properly reading the manual?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Well this isn't a bug, but I can support if Bartusg puts it in the Suggestions section as an optional feature - either by a wincmd.ini setting, or better by an option in the search dialogs (also Find files dialog) - an option that sticks between sessions.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Bartusg

Post by *Bartusg »

petermad wrote: but I can support if Bartusg puts it in the Suggestions section
Thanks petermad, let's give that a try!