German special charaxters are not recognised in TC, if ...

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

FrankyBkk

German special charaxters are not recognised in TC, if ...

Post by *FrankyBkk »

People in foreign countries with different regional code settings in windows, have the problem, that if they use german special characters, they will be shown correct in TC, but they get not correct handled. TC doesn't recognise that this is a UTF-Code, and have 2 digits, but show the correct character. Copying is possible, but deleting isn't possible. The only chance is to go file by file to change the filename and after it to delete the file.

It would be good if TC have an option to cut all Characters over ACCII 128 from an filename. Mane japanese movies have first the english filename and then the japanses charcaters in the filename. If the regional code isn't set to japan, then the filename can be read, but not handled. It would be great if this is a batchfunction like all the other usual functions in TC.

- I explain it in german language for the TC-Team:
Ein kleiner Fehler. Wenn eine Datei ein ungültiges ÄÖÜß in sich hat, welches aber auf einem ausländischen Regionalcode eingetippt worden ist (das deutsche Sonderzeichen hat dann also einen zweistelligen Code, wird aber nur einstellig angezeigt), und zwar im TC richtig angezeigt wird, dann kann der TC diese Dateien kopieren, aber nicht verschieben, also löschen. Es muß jede Datei manuell nachbehandelt werden. Dies ist bei großen Datenmengen total lästig. Im Windows Explorer funktioniert dieses löschen ohne Probleme. Evt. wäre ein Plugin gut, welches von allen markierten Ordnern/Dateien gnadenlos alle Zeichen entfernt, welche über ASCII 128 sind. Dies wäre eine Riesenerleichtertung für viele Leute, welche koreansiche/japanische Filme runterladen.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this problem with any file names here. Can you create a zip file (using the UTF-8 option) with Total Commander with such a problematic name?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
FrankyBkk

Post by *FrankyBkk »

Yes, I can, but I have to check my 26 TBytes here.

In German:
Was hälst Du von der Idee mit Bluertooh im TC als Sicherung und Diebstahlssicherung. Ist meines Erachtens nach eine Weltneuheit. Solltest Du unbedingt mal drüber nachdenken.

Viele Grüße aus Bangkok

Frank Meier
KTTL - Royal Thai Police
FrankyBkk

Post by *FrankyBkk »

Hi Christian,

I checked all my hard disks, but did find any of the files with the invalid characters. I found only the from me already corrected versions of files. I will download from the same download 3 sample files again and then send it, as you suggested. This could be maybe another 2-3 days delay.

nice greetings
Frank

PS.:
Da ich nicht mehr genau weiß, welcher von den Downloads es war, habe ich von den 5 möglichen Downloads jeweils die Dateien mit Filenamen äöüß selektiert. Ich habe den Download gerade eben gestartet.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I checked all my hard disks, but did find any of the files with the invalid characters. I found only the from me already corrected versions of files. I will download from the same download 3 sample files again and then send it, as you suggested. This could be maybe another 2-3 days delay.
Nice, thanks!

Your Bluetooth sugggestion is interesting, but doesn't belong in a file manager - it should be done via a service so the user cannot terminate it.
FrankyBkk

Post by *FrankyBkk »

I think that the "screensaver against nosy observers protection" via bluetooth is for TC really a option. Not for the thief security, but for the "I leave my computer and TC protect me automaticaly" idea.

And it would make you even more famous as you already are, hehe.

The idea is from me, and I declare here now openly that you can use it with all credits as a Thank you for your fantastic work with the TC. Come on Christian, lets go to work, hehe ....

If you block all the keys that they can be used to leave the TC, and nobody can leave your TC without rebooting, then is it already enough security.

It is a completly new way of using the bluetooth, and it will be maybe implemented in many other applications.

PS.: The download is slow ...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
FrankyBkk

Post by *FrankyBkk »

Hehe,

so much about new idea.

But the fact is that I had this idea 6 years ago. And never realised it. I did not read in the Internet about it. Thanks to tell me it.
FrankyBkk

Post by *FrankyBkk »

Hi Christian,

until now the download is not finished. The uploader replaced unfortunately in the original upload the german characters with ue and so on ...

But I got a screen copy of an file name with japanese characters that behave nearly in the same way. I can not make a zipfile, infact I can not do anything with the file, except starting it or deleting it. All other actions get with TC refused. With the Windows Explorer are other actions like edit the file itself are possible. Please give me an email address to where I can send this screen copy. It is a sensitive file name from my work (It is a case), so I don't want to publish the file name here.

I will keep this file in its original way until you answerred me. If you are interested to find a solution, then I can try this solution on my computer. It is a very big file with around 1,3 GByte. Normally I rename this files name by name.

nice greetings
Frank M.
KTTL - Royal Thai Police
Bangkok[/img]
FrankyBkk

I found one file that makes this problems

Post by *FrankyBkk »

Hi Christian,

the uploader changed all filenames, so I could not download a example.

BUT I found on one harddisk a file that is exactly behaving like I explained. I can not put it in a zipfile. It will not accept it.
It is a file from Prof. Harald Lesch's Alpha Centauri Clips.

It is not so big, so I uploaded it to Megaupload.

Here is the downloadlink:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=THEJOXA9

If you delete the german ä in the filename then it will change to an a.

nice greetings
Frank
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the file, I have downloaded and checked it. Indeed the accent is stored separately from the "a" as a¨, as you can see in this picture when packing the file with zip:
http://ghisler.com/images/umlautproblem.jpg

However, I have no problems at all moving the file, both between drives and within a drive.

Can you tell me what version of Windows and Total Commander you use? I have tested this on Windows 7 x64 German with the default locale set to German.
FrankyBkk

Post by *FrankyBkk »

Hi Christian,

I use TC 7.04a, and WinXP, both are officially versions and WInXP with auto update.

I have similary problems with japanes fiule names. My settings for non-uni-codes is german. I can change the filename in TC file by file, but that is a lot of work when I have 80 or 90 filenames, where on the end of the file name is name with the japanese characters translated.

I did not find until now a solution to cut them. The CTRL+M does not work if characters like this aqre in the file name.

You got any idea?

nice greetings
Frank
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Wasn't Unicode support in 7.04 only partially implemented?
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Tested with 7.04a: It doesn't work. It warns about it as soon as you enter the folder.

Tested OK with 7.56a.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use TC 7.04a, and WinXP, both are officially versions and WInXP with auto update.
Ah, I see, that version really had only limited Unicode support. I assumed that you use 7.56a because you posted it in the 7.56a bugs forum...