Scrollbar misbehaviour in Dir with many files

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ErikG

Scrollbar misbehaviour in Dir with many files

Post by *ErikG »

A strange behaviour occurs with the scrollbar when a directory contains many files.
I have a directory containing over 80,000 files. When I drag the scrollbarbutton down I see the starting letter ascending from A to R and than the files start again at A ascending to C when moving further down. There is therefore no way to reach files with starting letters from S to Z. (In alfabetical sort mode. Other sort modes behave in the same strange way).
When I stop at R and click in the lower scrollbar it works fine but that is rather slow with so many files. When I arrive at a file with a starting letter from A to Z in this way just touching the scrollbarbutton with the mouse moves me back to the start of the alfabet somewhere between A and C.

I noticed this anomaly also in earlier versions of TC than 7.56.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Quick check at MSDN suggests that in some cases scrollbar range might be limited to maximum of 65535. Mr. Ghisler probably didn't think that anyone would ever need to have more files in the same directory. It's really crazy amount of files. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
HBB

Post by *HBB »

Sob :
Mr. Ghisler probably didn't think that anyone would ever need to have more files in the same directory. It's really crazy amount of files. :)
This may be possible frequently for synchronization.
This is already in to-do list of Author.

regards
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

And a third reference:

Scrollbar Problem (German)

2ErikG
Do you use Windows 7?

From the above German topic: I could reproduce the problem with TC7.56a in Windows 7 but not in Windows XP.

Regards
Holger
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's indeed a bug of the themed scrollbars in Windows 7. If I remember correctly, it works when you turn off theming.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
adoeller

Post by *adoeller »

Right. Windows framework. i was close with guessing :)

i can live with that limitation. turning off skinning is not an option.

Thank you.